We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

carrying Passports on us?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dawson Creek, BC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
carrying Passports on us?

Hi everyone, this may seem like a strange question, but we are new to the traveling game. Well in Coz, should we carry our passports with us at all times, or is it better to leave them in our room safe? I thank everyone in advance for their responses:)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: carrying Passports on us?

Definately keep them in your room safe. You don't want to lose them. I don't see any reason why you'd need your passport while moving around on the island of Cozumel.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
25,293 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: carrying Passports on us?

I agree-leave them in the safe! I have never been asked for proof of citizenship anyplace in Mexico, other that coming and going. Also, make a copy of the inside page to tuck safely away in another suitcase or something. That way, should you loose your passport, you have something with you to take to the embassy office for replacement papers.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: carrying Passports on us?

Leave them in your room and just take your drivers license. We have been to Coz 4 times and have never been asked for our passport. The only time you may need it is if you want to rent a car.

Dawson Creek, BC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: carrying Passports on us?

I know I said that I thanked you in advance, but thanks again for the advice and tips. If any of you have any other tips about the island, things to do, where to go etc. I would love to hear them!!!!!!! Thanks again:)

Bend, OR
Level Contributor
899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: carrying Passports on us?

I would take it from your name you like to bike. Rent one on the island and do the east side on a bike stopping at Cocos restaraunt and playa bonita in addition to the other beautiful spots you'll see on the way. Bring lots of water though!

Dawson Creek, BC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: carrying Passports on us?

Thanks, SillyBilly, we will!!!!!!!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
542 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: carrying Passports on us?

Hi,

Make copies of your main pages of info from your passport and the outer cover, and carry that with you.

Have fun!

Cupcake

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,222 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: carrying Passports on us?

The last post has the best advice. Mexican law requires that you have your tourist card and some proof on citizenship on your person. In all my years of going to Mexico (over 20), I have never been asked for it, but you never know.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America