We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

I hope someone here can help me with my dilemma. I booked a frequent flyer trip to Cancun from Boston thinking that I could catch a flight from Cancun straight to Coz. I did that 6 years ago but now it seems that all commercial air travel between Coz and Cancun has been suspended. I already paid for the hotel (Occidental Grand) through a charter company which includes transfers to and from the airport.

So my choices are to take the collectivo from Cancun to the Playa bus terminal, lug my bags for a 10min walk to the ferry terminal, take the ferry to Coz and then either catch a cab to the hotel ($?) or to the airport($?) and get the transfer to the hotel. And then repeat the entire process on the way back.

Or the other option is to fork up the $600+ to fly directly to Coz from Boston which I really rather not do.

I found a charter airline from Playa called aerosaab that will get me to Coz for $125 one way. I still have to find/take some transportation to the Playa airport from Cancun.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Vino

Boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

I did some more research on the forum and looks like the cab from the ferry terminal to OCG would be around $16 so I can just go direct to the hotel and forget about the airport transfer. Anyone know how much more a cab (as compared to the collectivo/bus) from the Cancun airport to the Playa ferry terminal costs? I'm trying to minimize lugging bags between drop-off and ferry points.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

http://tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

You can get help moving bags at most if not all points. Don't fret it.

AUSTIN
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

I don't know the $$ answer to your question but I'm sure you know in your heart to just spring for the cab, its probably $30 or so, just a wild guess, but they would drop you at the ferry dock and you wouldn't spend your vacation toting bags which is no vacation..

AUSTIN
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

I don't know the $$ answer to your question but I'm sure you know in your heart to just spring for the cab, its probably $30 or so, just a wild guess, but they would drop you at the ferry dock and you wouldn't spend your vacation toting bags which is no vacation..

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,088 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

The taxi cannot drop you off at the ferry dock--it will drop you at the same place as the ADO-Rivira bus. For that reason, I always take the bus which is about 8 US Dollars and to me, is the safest most comfortable way to travel.

From the bus station, you can use one of the tricycle guys to take your luggage to the side of the ferry--cheap and efficient.

Its really an easy trip from the Cancun airport and one that I enjoy.

Boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

Thanks for all the answers guys. CO_Pilot, I had seen your provided links in other posts and wanted to say thanks for the great picture-by-picture guidance.

BarryRay, the last time I did the Cancun to Coz trip, I got to Cancun late enough that by the time I cleared customs I had missed the Coz flight by 5 mins. Being the last flight of the night I had to find a hotel in Cancun. When I asked the guys at the desk, they walked me over to some cars that I thought was a cab but wasn't. It was supposedly a private car-for-hire service. Anyway, a $12 ride to the hotel cost me $35 and as you can imagine I was upset mostly at myself that I hadn't asked the price before getting in. The cab guys were geniunely upset because they kept saying their service was similar to that in the US for a private car. Anyway, that's why I prefer knowing up front what I'm getting into now. Better late than never.

thanks Robert for the info on the tricycle guys. That's useful to know. I did call up the charter company and they said they could pick me up from the ferry in Coz for the same price that I already paid for the airport transfer. Also, they said something about a tranfer from Cancun, meaning they arrange for the ride to the ferry. The agent is supposed to get back to me on the additional cost for that. After reading the posts about the timeshare guys and just knowing how pushie folks are around the airport, especially when a female is travelling alone, I'd rather pay a little extra and have the charter company waiting for me at the airport.

thanks again and hopefully it'll all work out.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

can someone tell me how much each leg of the trip costs?

- taxi from cancun airport to ferry in playa del carmen

- ferry to Cozumel

- taxi to Occidental Grand Cozumel

Boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

Hi punky21,

There is a post somewhere in the forum that details how to get from Cancun to Coz. I found a post that said the cab from the airport to Occidental was $16. Search the forum and you should be able to find the URL with the details.

My story has a happy ending as I was able to get the charter company (TNT Vacations here in Boston) to arrange for the whole tranfer for a total of $110 which is $55 which is probably a little bit more than I would pay if it on my own but it works out better for me.

Good luck!

Boston
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Coz-Occidental Grand from Cancun

Hi punky21,

There is a post somewhere in the forum that details how to get from Cancun to Coz. I found a post that said the cab from the airport to Occidental was $16. Search the forum and you should be able to find the URL with the details.

My story has a happy ending as I was able to get the charter company (TNT Vacations here in Boston) to arrange for the whole tranfer for a total of $110 which is $55 which is probably a little bit more than I would pay if it on my own but it works out better for me.

Good luck!