We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
iowa
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

I noticed the express tour from Coz to Tulum is 65.00 per person. This includes ferry to and from Cancun admission into park and tour guide. How easy would it be for me to do this on my own? Would I save any money? Anybody have any ideas?

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

You'd be nuts to do this I think... Here's what you do... take the ferry over yourself..... It was not much to cross, but I can't remember the exact amount. Get off the ferry.... go to the right, and across a little park type area.... head "up" away from the beach about a block.... you'll see a McDonalds (not the same McDonalds you see right off the Ferry), and across the street is the Bus Station. I think it says "riveria" on the side of the building. Then for $2.00 (20 pesos) you can take a second class bus (not bad actually) to Tulum. For $31 pesos (about $3.00) you can go first class which is really nice actually.... but they are limted, and you might not want to wait. You'll board a bus marked "Merida". You'll get off at the Tulum exit. It will not really say "Tulum" it will say something in spanish that represents "Archelogical Site".... you'll figure it out, and bus driver will help if you ask. When it drops you off, just cross the street and walk into the site. You can't beat this for $2.00. Then, to return, you'll be able to buy a bus ticket right there at the the Tulum stop. I just did this last Tuesday. It was very interesting. I really enjoyed the bus ride. It was about a 40-45 bus trip. Not too many stops. I really enjoyed the 2nd class bus. It was good to be with the "real" folks. Even 2nd class is very decent. When you get to Tulum just walk into the site, and go past all the tourist trap stuff on the right... follow the road to the site. About a 5 min walk. You can't beat this for $5.00 round trip! Be careful on that ferry too.... it was very "rough" and windy when I went, and it was a "e" ticket ride if you know what I mean. (Also, please see the post called "How do we get to Tulum once we exit the ferry?" that was posted on 1/28/2005.) There's lots of opinions on this subject there. I hope this helps... please let me know if it did. ;-) Jen

iowa
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

Jenna,

Thanks for all your info. I plan to print it off and take it with me!

Cozumel Mexico
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

Hola!

When are you coming to the island? Why I ask is that right now, and nobody really knows for how long, the ferry to cross to Playa del Carmen is only 20 pesos one way! So that's around $4 usd. Then the bus to Tulum is about $6 (r/t) usd. If you have the extra $$$, which you just might, see if you can hook up with a tour guide when you get to the ruins! That will make it really worth it! Or visit with the Lonely Planet Guidebook for details!

The trip is EASY! most people speak english and so many have gone this route already!

Have a great time! Don't forget your swimsuit!

CK

cozumelkelly@hotmail.com

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

My wife and I were in Playa del Carmen a couple of years ago. We took a tour of Tulum and the Water park. All I can say is I personally always find it better to go with a tour group as they provide a guide who knows the history. If you are like me and enjoy historical sites a guide can make up the difference. although $65 is a lot a money. What are you getting for this?

As an FYI Tulum is a small site, check out a package to go to Chichen Itza. You can climb the ruins but it wil be about a 3 hour trip.

Mark.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

You can always take the bus and get a guide when you get there. ;-)

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

When did the ferry lower their costs? I was there in Nov, 2004 and a roundtrip ticket per person was $16 USD, per the posted price on the ticket boards. I have been to CZM many times and am quite familiar with converting USD to pesos and vice versa.

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

There are actually 2 companys with ferry service. One is slower and cheaper and the other is faster and more expensive.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

Hummmm, When i was there in Nov, 2004 I checked both ferry's prices and they were identical. When did the fery price lower?

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

I was there on Jan. 15th 2004. There was definately a big price difference.... The one with a booth on the right was cheap, left was more.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tulum..65.00 express tour or should we go on our own?

Interesting!!! I will have to check that out the next trip. In November, both ferry lines were using the same type of boats just painted different colors and were the same price.