We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia is Back and Better!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Melia is Back and Better!

Just returned tonight from a long weekend at the Melia and it was better than before the storm!

I will post a review sometime tomorrow at the hotel review section.

Boo and hiss to the shuttle mafia at the airport.

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

dallas matt welcome back!! Any recommendations on which room to request? We are looking for ocean view...and away from the "action"....

Dallas
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

Thanks.

Request the ocean front bldg (not the tower). The rooms in this bldg. are about as ocean front as any hotel rooms anywhere. We were in #320 and were on the top floor (3rd) and one room away from the end (quite[execpt the sound of waves] and great view). So, 321 would be the last and maybe best.

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

Thanks for the quick reply...hope you don't mind me firing a few more questions at you....

Were there hairdryers in the rooms or irons?? We are trying to lighten the load in our luggage w/ the stricter weight rules...

Also...what's the current rate of exchange?

Dallas
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

No problem.

Yes and yes. Sorry I can't comment on the rate of exchange. We only did a long weekend and never changed any money or found a need to leave the resort. Tipped in US. Have fun.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

How's the water look? Snorkeling from the beach?

We'll be there the week of the 27th (13 days and counting)! Was it very quiet? Any suggestions on how to avoid the "shuttle mafia"? We have transfers with our package and I'm dreading having to deal with them.

Dallas
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

The water does not really look any different than 2 years ago to me (not perfect crystal blue at the shoreline), but there is now a great white sand beach. To snorkel you will need to walk a short distance down the beach (I would suggest beach shoes).

As for the shuttles, this will not be a big deal. My grip is I like to have a choice of a shuttle or cab and I usually take a cab to save time.

Have fun.

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

How was the snorkeling?? Is it worth our while to leave the resort on other tours to do better snorkeling....

And the snorkeling you mentioned is it included w/ our resort?

Dallas
Level Contributor
228 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

The hotel does have snorkeling equipment at no charge (not sure how long you can keep it), but a professional trip would absolutely be worth the price of admission. We did not do this this trip. Oh yea, every day at 11:00 the activity staff at the resort do a snorkeling demo and walk with the guests down the beach to show them the ropes in the ocean.

henderson
Level Contributor
787 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melia is Back and Better!

great!! anyone out there...which snorkeling trip to you advise??

Thanks Matt for your help!! :)