We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun or Conzumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Sacramento...
3 posts
Save Topic
Cancun or Conzumel

Hi All,

We are planning for our vacation in Dec/Jan timeframe.. have been to Cancun two years back and loved the place and AI option.

We would like a nice relaxing vacation on beach (nice beach), where u go in water, do boogy boarding, kayaking, sailing ( on hotel beach) and other water activites. (Any suggestions for Hotels with these in Conzumel and Cancun)?

Also we would like to have options to do other excursions (snorkeling). Have been to Xel Ha, and Chichenitza, so do not think we will be doing this again.

We are trending for Conzumel as we have been to Cancun before, but the things concering is being a small island (not sure how small :) ) will we get bored over there if we stay there for 7-8 days.

Heard alos about cruise ships coming here, would it be too over crowed during the day and be a nuisance (we would prefer not very crowded beaches, so u can relax)?

Please advise..

Thanks

NEWPORT BEACH,CA
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

Since it is a small island,activities are limited.Look at Playa Del Carmen,a lot of things to do in tha area + a good night life on 5th ave.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

Do you scuba / snorkel? Thats one of the biggest draws on Cozumel...and thats what keeps us busy for the majority of our trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

Cozumel (not Conzumel, which suggests in a Freudian way you have already decided against it) is not known for its beaches, although there are a few nice ones here and there. It's really known for what's under the water, so if you dive or snorkel, as pcsanity says, Cozumel is the place to be. For a fairly large island (28 miles long? is that right?) it has a surprisingly small-town feel. Lots of great food. But yes, as a cruise destination, also a lot of very touristy businesses.

If spending the week on a gorgeous beach is what you're after, and you've already done Cancun, try Akumal or Isla Mujeres. But both of those locations are much smaller, much less developed, much more laid back. So, in some ways to some people, less to do. It all depends what's most important to you.

Sacramento...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

thanks all for u responses and thanks for correcting me on cozumel... yes we love to snorkel...but would prefer a nice beach to relax and definately go in the wated and feel the waves.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

The actual waves are on the east side of Cozumel and it's undeveloped except for one hotel and some beach clubs. I also suggest Playa Del Carmen. The beaches there are pretty. Why done u use spillchock?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

lol ... spillchock

Ohio
Level Contributor
126 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

If you want to stay at a nice beach on Coz, then your options mostly lie to the south of town at the All Inclusives. A friend stayed at the Occidental twice and really enjoyed it. She never left the place. If you stay down there you will need transportation to go into town.

On our experience we found the town to be very crowded during the day, not so much in the evening, except on Sunday Fiesta in the plaza, where they have local music, dancing and artists. Most places close dinner at 10. It seems to be more of a party atmosphere during the day, as that's when the cruise ships and ferrys from Cancun and Playa del Carmen are there. It's a totally different world after sunset, as most who stay on Coz are divers turning in early for their 8am dive, or enjoying themselves at their resorts.

We stayed at Casa Del Mar which we considered a happy medium. Between the town and the Southern resorts. Close drive or walk into town. Since the resort is close to town, their 'beach' is man-made, and, it's right by the cruise ships. That didn't bother us, and still enjoyed nice sunsets in hammocks. However, they do have a private beach club about a 5-10 minute drive south by the resorts. We found this as a great, quiet escape on our non dive afternoons. They have a pool, hot tub, massage tables, banana boats and other water rentals.

I guess it will depend on what you want - more natural beach at an AI or more local action/restaurants in town. You will need transportation if you want both.

Not saying that there aren't beautiful places to stay in town, but natural beaches are not to be found because of all the docks.

We're divers, so we loved the quiet, relaxed evening atmosphere in town and at Casa del Mar. Some may find it dull.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

I would also suggest Playa Del Carmen. Much better than Cancun, which to me is so commercialized (even getting to the point, you don't want to walk around downtown anymore, just not the same with everything that is happening these days), it makes me sick. If I wanted to be in the US, I would go to Key West or Miami.

There is always Isla Mujeres, but the AI might be a problem.

There are Resorts with Beaches south of town, but like already mentioned, the draw is whats underneath the water. Lots of iron shore beaches, but not all, and the clarity of the water, fish, coral is second to known.

Seeing you are from California, have you tried Mazatlan or Cabo? Both have the night life, beaches, and in Cabo, average snorkeling if you want to do that once or twice.

Try PDC if it really comes down to picking a destination.

Enjoy

P.S. And we all miss spell words, especially me. Just hard to get past the butchering of the most important word in the Subject Title.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,408 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

I've always thought of Cancun as the Las Vegas of the Yucatan. No offense to Vegas fans, but I have no interest in either. However, Cozumel, Isla Mujeres, Akumal, Puerto Morelos, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Merida ... the Yucatan offers many delightful places to visit, each with their own distinct "sabor."

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
597 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cancun or Conzumel

We call Cancun "the concrete jungle". Glad I saw it, no desire to stay there again.

Playa Del Carmen is nice, though different than Cozumel. I like its quaint atmosphere though I prefer Cozumel since it's easy -- and a lot of fun -- to explore the island on your own. We've always felt safe on Cozumel.

Cozumel DOES have beaches to offer, but as mentioned previously, you'll have to stay south of town, which means taxi rides can get pricey. Solution - rent a vehicle.

I'd stay clear of the resorts situated close to town and close to where the cruise ships dock unless the taste of diesel fuel and the view of one or more large cruise ships parked out front appeals to you. We stayed at the El Cid and hated it for those reasons, and the fact that they provide use of their facilities to the docking cruise ship passengers. The only reason we stayed here was because it was a complimentary stay as per a time share presentation.

Regardless of the distance of lodging from town, I'd recommend renting a vehicle for your stay, as the east side of the island is a must see for a day trip - lots of beaches and restaurants to stop at, great views, and shops along the way. We stop at Chedraui before heading to the east side - stock a cooler with ice, refreshments and snacks and make a day of it. San Francisco beach has shower facilities, gift shop and restaurant on site, and a raft you can swim out to and I believe they have wave runner rentals.

I've stayed at the Allegro in the past -- years ago -- I think they're under new ownership now. The Occidental is nearby. But, we loved the resort, the beach and the location.

On the flip side, we've also stayed at the Coral Princess (didn't go A/I) just north of town - a smallish resort, quiet, no nightlife, but what we liked about it was that you could just drop in the water next to the reef from the ladder and snorkel there and never had to worry about boat traffic. Plenty of fish to see. They have a small man made beach, and rooms are either jungle or ocean view. Ocean views are spectacular. This is much closer to town.

Cozumel is not known for its night life, but San Miguel can be pretty busy during the day and plenty of great restaurants (please do try local food even though you are going all inclusive - there are many decently priced restaurants with excellent food that you'd otherwise miss staying at an A/I).

Good luck in your decision making.