We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Cozumeleno or Allegro

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
El Cozumeleno or Allegro

I have been reading this forum for a few months and greatly appreciate all the info(especially Antonio's Wilma Album). I have booked a trip to El Cozumeleno on May 15-19. I have recently read though that the beach is in terrible shape, especially compared to the Allegro.

My wife and I went to El Coz for our Honeymoon in 04 and absolutely loved it, but if the beach is going to be non existent there my wife would probably be very dissapointed.

I have heard the Allegro has a great beach and the resort looks pretty nice so in light of this I have a few questions.

1) Will El Coz Beach be close to Pre-Wilma condition by May 15??

2)If not, how good is the Allegro?? And if anybody has been to El Coz and Allegro which did they enjoy more??

I probably will stick with El Coz but any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
328 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: El Cozumeleno or Allegro

Last time I stayed at the Allegro it was typically $17 into town. However, this was in November of 2004.

Just confirm your fare before you step into the taxi.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: El Cozumeleno or Allegro

I have not stayed at the Allegro but have stayed at the nearby Iberostar. We walked over to the Allegro to inspect the place in case we wanted to go there someday and toured the grounds and the facilities. I have to say that it is a very nice place and nobody would ever have to twist my arm to stay there. However, in my opinion, the views from the rooms at the El Coz are worth well over a million dollars. As far as the beach goes, at the El Coz you can take a short stroll north and the beach is perfect. It is probably a closer walk to the nice beach then it is at the Allegro because the huts are pretty far from the water line. I cannot speak to the service at the Allegro but I can at the El Coz. It would be impossible to beat the service you will get at the El Coz. The people at the Dive Shop, the waiters, the front desk folks etc. etc. are the best. If you do want to go into town it is a very quick cab ride.

MO
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: El Cozumeleno or Allegro

Swimupbar Guy:

Your post sways me to pick the El Coz. I dont mind a short walk to the water. In MO I drive an hour to get to BUll Shoals lake.. I like the idea of the view and good accommodations.

The taxi to town is not that bad for a trip or two. I would like to rent a jeep and see the other side of the island.

Still hope to make it in mid May. If my son can not make it I might buzzz down early by myself. I am in need of a fix of clear water a beach and a beer.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: El Cozumeleno or Allegro

Hey JustDad, there is no place better to clear out the cobwebs than good old Cozumel. Here is a trip report that I just wrote the other day. Check out the pic of the view from the ninth floor and just tell me if you could visulize yourself sitting there sipping a cold beverage and listening to the surf! If you have any other questions just send me an email at s_c_lovecozumel@yahoo.com

<http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150809-d153006-r4565747-El_Cozumeleno_Beach_Resort-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html>

Ma
Level Contributor
55 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: El Cozumeleno or Allegro

We saw both the El Coz and the Allegro on Feb 5. We also stayed at El Coz last year, but this year we were switched to the Occidental bacause I was not happy about the beach conditions at the El Coz. The beach at the Allegro and the Occidental is really very nice, long sandy stretch with sandy bottom going into the ocean. We walked along the beach from the Iberostar quite a ways past the Allego. Just lovely. Much nicer than El Coz even in best of conditions. If beach is important to you then go Allegro. It is true that the views from El Coz are great. but make sure you are up high. Las year we were on a lower floor and view was obstructed. We rented a car for 6 days which cost something like a $130 and was a really easay drive into town. Straight flat highway right into town, maybe 10 miles. Not really a problem at all. For me the beach makes a big difference becasue I am not a pool person and the numerous palapalas and glorious beach always wins out.

Dallas, Texas
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: El Cozumeleno or Allegro

Thanks Guys. I think we have decided to stick with the El Coz this year. We have so many good memories there that we decided to give it a shot. Hopefully the Beach will improve each week until we get there.