We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Tours

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic Tours

Has anyone had these guys for your transfers or done tours through them? My husband booked our trip through our travel agent and I am just curious on how they are. We are staying at the Iberostar Nov. 18-23. Our first trip and we can't wait!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic Tours

I would be a bit afraid of them. I suspect they are a middleman only selling tours in Mexico. And their website is a bit sketchy--it gives no information on the company and their FAQ page is blank. I think you would do better with a local operator.

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic Tours

I am not familiar with them but you don't need to book transfers with any one. It is cheapest to just take a shared van at the airport & a taxi back to the airport. (See top questions on the right for more info.)

Have fun!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic Tours

Traffic Tours, is one of about 8 different local ground transportation companies here, you will see them (all) at the airport anytime a plane lands, waiting outside the terminal in different colord shirts, the yellow shirt, blue shirt, green, orange, flowered, white, and the Traffic guys in red shirts. The reason why Robert "warns" you about them (there's no reason to be ACTUALLY afraid as in fear, they are NOT dangerous), is because they can often be sneaky about doing their SECOND job. See these companies have 2 jobs, the first job (and reason they are involved in your vacation) is the transfer, (aka ground transportation portion of your package). The American companies that sell air/hotel packages, want to have a "representative" of theirs pick you up at the airport, and make sure you get to your hotel and check in smoothly, and also make sure you get back to the airport on time and don't miss your flight home. So for this purpose they hire a local ground handler. Built in to what your package costs, is the actual van ride, you are paying for that yourself, they are only there to "hand-hold" you to/from your hotel from/to the aiport.

So because of their first job, they have access to you, and you are even told to meet them and go with them by the American company that sells you the trip. They are in a posicion where you expect to trust them. Because of this, their SECOND job is made very easy, the rest of the week they will be sitting in the lobbies of hotels, re-selling 3rd party tours (as Robert correctly pointed out) this is where they got their nick name "lobby-sharks" (and I don't mean Traffic only, I mean all of them), thing is they are often deceitful in how they go about making sure they hoard the tour-selling business, it starts at the airport, they say that after you check in, you'll need to attend an "orientation" meeting, sometimes people have the transfers as actual tickets in their travel documents and some of the travel guys actually take them from people and say they must attend the meeting "to get them back", other times there are not tickets at all, just names on lists, and they give you a piece of paper with your name, their name, the time you "have to meet them" and the logos of their company and the American company, so it look VERY official, and then they go as far as saying something like " you must come to the meeting to CONFIRM your transfers back, or even say they need to confirm th flight back. None of this is true, your transfer back to the aiport, and the flight home, was all confirmed the day you paid your package at home, there is nothing they can do or not do, to change this, but they trick you, so you go to their SALES meeting, for the tours they make money on.

The thing is the tours they sell, are not theirs, in fact all the different ground handling companies all sell pretty much the same tours (for the most part). No I will say that Robert is also wrong about local operators, as the travel guys all sell tours that are provided BY local tour operators.

I personally don't like how they trick people, and this little trick of theirs has been a pet peeve of mine for many years, it bugs the hell out of me. Of course as a manager of a tour selling company, it also has affected me financially, and it's not secret that for the 8 years I managed the dive shop at El Coz, I waged holy war on them (disclaimer), and did a pretty good job of kicking their butts.

For years I saw how people who had been traveling all day (barely slept the night before, got up at ungodly hours, drove for hours through snowstorms, waited for hours at airports), waiting for their vacations for weeks, months even, who just wanted to relax and START their vacation, were unfairly made to worry about going home, when their vacation wasn't even 2 hours old. I think it should be FORBIDDEN to talk about the "day you go home", on the first day of vacation!!!

But that's just me.

The Traffic guys are not dangerous by any means, you'll find those guys will be polite and professional doing their first job, and tricky and pushy for their second job. I do agree that you can do better as far as bang for the buck, by finding and booking tours and activities on your own, directly with reputable tour operators, instead of middlemen who often get 30-40% of what you pay as commission (not the guy at the desk, the company he works for, the guys at th desk make 5% commission on average). Often you end up paying the same with them, as you would booking direct with a reputable tour operator, the difference is the travel companies take a huge chunk as commission, and often hand you over to "cheaper" operators, so you don't get 100% of your money's worth.... not all the time, just most of the time.

Lees Summit, MO
Level Contributor
482 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic Tours

Our transfers that are included with our Palace membership go thru Traffic and it always goes smoothly. I do not know about their tours.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic Tours

Good detailed background information from Antonio. And I would agree, they are not dangerous but as Antonio says, you can get more bang for your buck.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic Tours

I agree with both of you that if you are a little adventurous you can get more bang for your buck, but it is my experience as a travel consultant that most people I book don't want to leave without some sort of plan. If that is the case, I almost always tell them to use the ground people in destination for their excursions as they are easily accessable to them at the hotels. But is saying that I do disagree with the antics of bullying them into believing they need to see them for their departure transfer.

I stayed at El Coz a few years back and had a toe to toe with one of the ground agents for Air Canada as he was actually trying to bully me into meeting with him. When I told him I was a TA he backed off. I did report it to the tour operator when I returned to work as I don't want my clients dealing with that in destination.

Mankato, Minnesota
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic Tours

The transfer with them is all part if our package.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic Tours

Yet another highly information, and I suspect, 100% accurate comment from Antonio.

When it comes to issues on the island of Cozumel, I believe the guy. He just seems to make sense whenever he posts.

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,758 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic Tours

grumpybear - I think what you are being told here is that you don't have to book tours through these people. We have had many vacations to Mexico, booked through either Funjet or Apple. These always have included transfers. I use the transfers and then do my own thing once I get to the resort. It's easy to book your own tours and you don't need to listen to hours of these guys trying to sell you something. Iberostar has their own tour desk and they are very accomodating.

Yorktown, Virginia
Level Contributor
583 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic Tours

I am a Palace member and have been very happy with Traffic as far as transfers go. I haven't used them for anything else. Just last month we arrived at the Cancun airport and they got us to Playacar, on the ferry and picked up from the ferry in Cozumel without any wait at all.