We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental or Taxi?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car rental or Taxi?

I have been checking into renting a car for the week we will be there. We have 6 people, so for a minivan it is around $460 a week plus $33 a day for insurance. It just seems like it would be cheaper to take taxis. We will be staying near downtown on the water but want to go to a lot of beach clubs. I don't really know taxi prices. Any thoughts?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental or Taxi?

This will be one of the few times I will go with Taxi,mostly because of your location,and assuming you will use the taxi once a day..There is a Ghost Bus in Coz,that really would be the way to go!!!!!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental or Taxi?

Sounds like the van may cost close to $700 for the week. Let's assume that a van taxi will cost $25 each way for a total of $50 a day times six equals $300. You may be able to find a couple of people either way to help defray the cost a bit.

1Life had it right. Now plan on a trip (by taxi) around the island one day (you can still end up at a beach club on the west side) and a trip to Tulum, Xel-Ha, Xcaret etc on the mainland and the taxi option makes more sense.

Houston Texas
Level Contributor
173 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental or Taxi?

I was in Cozumel in Feb. We took a van from downtown to palancar beach club for 5$ per person each way. We scheduled a time to pick us up and they were right on time. If you rent the van for the week it will also have to be filled up with gas. I think it is 4 or 5$ per gallon.

Portland
Level Contributor
218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental or Taxi?

Are you serious????????? 4.00 - 5.00 a gallon for gas??????? REALLY?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental or Taxi?

In July 2001 it was 5.23 pesos per liter. This is about $2.16 US per gallon. I suspect that $2.16 was higher than the average price in the US at that time.

Texas
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental or Taxi?

I hadn't even THOUGHT about gas...I guess that does it for me. Coupled with the high cost of insurance....taxi it is! Thanks for everyone's input!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental or Taxi?

Texasgal1,

You won't regret the decision to take a cab. As others have suggested, Gabriel (gabdiaz83@hotmail.com) is a great/fun guy that will likely become a friend. We hired this past Jan. and will do so again in April.