We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
116 posts
228 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Questions

1) Should/may I bring my dive knife to Cozumel?

2) Are there places where I can rent a videocamera for diving?

3) What dive operators do you recommend and why?

Thanks!

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
116 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Questions

One more question:

4) Can I rent a dive computer in Cozumel?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Questions

You can bring your dive knife, but DON'T PACK IT IN YOUR CARRY ON LUGGAGE, unless you want to be detained well past flight time. You can rent a computer there, but I suggest you decide who you will be using as the dive operator to see if you can rent from them. I have never yet found a dive shop that rents underwater video eguipment, most have an in house pro videographer that tapes the dive and sells edited videos to who ever wants them. as far as dive operators the list is long, so I will list one of many sites you can research some of them. Now even though you can take your knife there is no need to, and technically you are not allowed to take it into the water. As a national marine park knives are banned, and as part of that ban there is nothing to get tangled in. I have at least 80 dives in the waters there and have never seen a need for my knife. travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/diveshops.html

Dearborn, MI
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Questions

Hey Cicopo:

What exact dates are you going to be at the Hotel Cozumel? I read in an earlier forum that you'd be there in Feb. We will be there Feb.19 - 26th. I've read alot of your comments and they were very helpful. Maybe we'll see you there!

Regina Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba Questions

Don't bother with your knife, take some EMT shears. A knive is not necessary.

Island Video will rent you a video camera. They are at La Cieba.

Dive with Troy at Pelagic Ventures. Small operation,small boats. Troy is an all round great guy and will go out of his way for you. He is an ex Canadian. His DM's speak english very well.(if you don't get Troy himself). Call or email ahead as he gets filled fast.

Be sure to mention Ron Brandt sent you !

Ron Brandt

Regina Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba Questions

One more question.... Yes youcan rent a computer from Troy and it's highly recommended to max your bottom time.

Ron Brandt

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba Questions

I don't know the answer to your first 2 questions - we did not bring a knife, nor do we video our diving, so don't know. It felt like you can get anything related to diving in Cozumel, though, so I would guess you can rent a camera.

As for dive operators, I would highly recommend Alison Dennis, who runs her own diver operation, Scuba with Alison. They have a web site scubawithalison.com. My husband and I just certified with her in December and she was terrific. For new divers, she's patient, a good teacher, and very safetly conscious. But she's also really good for very experienced divers. We went out later in the week after certifying and the boat had 3 other couples, all of whom dive all the time and dive regularly with Alison. She takes you all over the great spots, regardless of how far away they are, is very safety conscious, but doesn't treat the experienced folks like newbies - no banging on tanks. Her boat is small and clean - usually 6 guests max. Finally, she's a lot of fun - great sense of humour. If you do a web search on Scuba with Alison, you'll see all kinds of other great reviews.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
116 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba Questions

Thanks for the tips. I'd rather not bring my dive knife and weights anyway to be honest. Just wondering if I needed it for safety. Anyone else know who rents videocams?

Thanks.

Aurora, Colorado
Level Contributor
116 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba Questions

bump

Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba Questions

Don't bother with the knife. Most DM won't let you take them since you are in Marine park. Not sure about the video camera. I would recommend diving with ScubaDu. tehy will pick you up anywhere and are awesome. If you rent thier gear, I think they can hook you up with a computer.

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Scuba Questions

No knife needed. Knives were originally carried by divers to cut out of monofilament fishing line or any other tanglement. you will not have this problem in CZM.

I know there is a photo dive shop at the El Cid (La Ceiba) hotel. I believe, its Island Photo. They may rent there.

I dive with Emerald Dolphin Diving. They have a 25 foot boat with a restroom on board. The back of the boat has a platform to stride off of and a large ladder to climb back on with.The boat is not super fast, but I like the slower pace. Gives me time to absorb the sights, sounds and smells of the island. They feed you breakfast onboard in the morning with drinks, danish and fruit. After the first dive, they will have out fresh bread, meats, cheeses, tostadas, guacomole, pico de gallo for sandwiches. Tony Castillo, the owner speaks very good English and his boat hands do all you equipment set up and break down. I believe he charges $60.00 for 2 tanks. He has a website. Goggle "Emerald Dolphin Diving Cozumel"