We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia Water Clarity

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Melia Water Clarity

Many recent reports state that the beach by the Melia is much improved after Wilma, but not much has been mentioned about how clear the water is. Antonios recent pics lead me to believe it is a little clearer, but they are mainly of the beach and do not show much of the water.

Here is a picture of how it looked just before Wilma.

http://tinyurl.com/7z86g

The Melia is to the right of the pier, El Coz to the left.

Can anyone who has been there recently tell me if much has changed from this picture.

I enjoy a nice beach, but a view of the clear turqoise blue water that you find in parts of Cozumel offers a therapeutic effect that brings me back year after year. That is why I stay at the El Coz. If the Melia is much better now, that could sway my decision.

MO
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia Water Clarity

WOW! Coz, that is a nice photo! If the water is still like that I will be going down this next month or so. Thanks

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia Water Clarity

Here is another pic taken from the tip of the pier, looking back at the El Coz.

http://tinyurl.com/ae2zb

The water in front of the El Coz is fabulous.

The brownish-green water to the right of the pier in my first pic is in front of the Melia. I was wondering if the hurricane might have washed some of the foliage away from the bottom in that area, thus making the water clearer.

The water in front of both hotels was always clear once you got in, but light reflecting off the foliage in front of the Melia gave it an ugly brownish-green look.

Broken Arrow...
Level Contributor
262 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia Water Clarity

Last week the water in front of the Melia was as clear as El Coz. There were a few small patches of sea weed but nothing like it has been or like it was in your picture. I have some pictures taken from the pier looking toward the Melia and toward El Coz, I will try to download so you can see them. Contractor

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia Water Clarity

This has been the situation for several years. Sometime back, the El Cozumeleno built this pier. It is not your normal pier with pilings that alow water to flow under. It is more like a breakwater that acts as a dam. The mangroves in the north, beyond the Melia, empty out into the ocean and the currents carry these dark tanins south towards the El Cozumeleno and the Melia. Once it gets down there, the pier acts as a dam and keeps much of it on the side of the Melia. Unfortunate situation for the Meila, Great situation for the El Cozumeleno.Water is crystal clear with several shades of blue. Today, they would not let you build this type of pier because it alters the environment. Of course, currents can change and the mangroves release more tanins at certain times of the year, but much of the time it seems the water is brown up there and it has a particular odor.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Melia Water Clarity

Indeed that pier was built specifically to prevent the mangrove water from reaching El Coz's beach, and not for it's docking functions. I've heard that originally the owners of El Coz offered the owner of Melia to go dutch on the cost (they ain't cheap) and build it at the end of the Melia property, but the Melia owner declined.

On the flip side, that pier is the reason the Melia's beach is like it is today, and why from the pier south there is a pronounced lack of sand (though much sand is being brought in manually), after the hurricane took the sand, the ocean started to bring it back, specially during the nortes in January, but it all stopped at the Melia and completely filled it in, I dare say right now, it is the best hotel beach in Cozumel, and 100% natural.

Eventually though, when the winds and currents come from a particular direction, with a certain intensity, the mangroves will flood out, and the brown water will come trucking down the coast to the Melia, this is a constant in the north shore. When you observe it over a long period of time as I did at El Coz, you'll even see how the "stain" advances and receeds sometimes in a matter of hours.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melia Water Clarity

It sounds like it's a safe bet to just stay with the El Coz if you want to be assured of a nice blue ocean view.