We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ai vs. Non-Ai

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
962 posts
281 reviews
Save Topic
Ai vs. Non-Ai

We are trying to decide whether to book an all-inclusive (El Coz) or choose a smaller inn/hotel/b&b in town ... because we are staying at a great big Ai (Palladium) for 5 nights following ... so thought it might be fun to spend 3 nights at a very basic hotel as we want to spend our time at Coz exploring (Chankanaab, etc).

The price is so good for El Coz that not sure it's cost effective to stay at a hotel in town?

Any recommendations for a clean, good location (walking) hotel in town that has a small pool (with in room safe) and is not too noisy?

The last few times in Coz we were either on cruise ship or all-inclusive ... so have no idea what prices are like to eat and drink everyday if we don't stay at an Ai ... Advice? I hate to buy an Ai if we are going to be off-property most days doing other things.

Also, are rental cars advisable (affordable/safe)? I would never drive on the other side (RivMaya) ... but on Coz may be easier?

Thanks for your help! : )

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

its more about style than money. if you are off property alot then the value of the AI food and drink is lost. non ai is more adventuresome and involves picking a place to have a meal. you can find condos that include breakfast and maid service.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,942 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

There are many great restaurants in town.... but even with that, sometimes the small added cost of the AI is worth just for breakfast and drinks, etc. - especially if you are travelling with kids.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
962 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

Thanks! What about the cost of taxi services?

In RivMaya you can use the collectivos. Is there any such service in Coz? I.e., affordable way to get down to a beach club or Chankanaab?

Indy
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

A very nice and affordable in town hotel I would recommend is Casa Mexicana. The only drawback would be their pool. They have one but it isn't really big enough for swimming. More of just a wading pool. The hotel is very nice and extremely clean. They have room safes. Get an oceanview room for just a little extra and have a great view of the ocean. Breakfast is included and is very good.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
424 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

We took our teenagers to Cozumel (they were 16 & 18 at that time). We rented a house downtown, and ate mostly at the local restaurants, cooked at home a little.

Having our kids experience day-to-day life in Cozumel, mingling with the locals, was something they will never forget. They STILL talk about that vacation.

We rented a car the entire week, but if I had to do it again, I would rent one for a day or two to go to the East side.

WindLaker

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
962 posts
281 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

Thanks! I do like to experience the "local" flavor ... especially since we'll have 5 nights at a mega-all-inclusive after we leave Cozumel.

I heard there are bike rentals? That sounds like a nice option too ... but we rented mopeds once to ride down to Chankanaab ... and I seem to remember it being a long way! And, especially on that crazy buzy road and through the cruise ship terminal area. I think we'll go for a jeep for a one day trip around the island and to the east side.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

Take a look at Blue Angel, Hotel La Casona Real, and Villablanca Garden.

You might get some street noise from Blue Angel, but it is close enough to downtown, Mega, and far enough south to get to Chankanaab if you chose to go again. Not that it is close, but you are getting out of the busiest parts of downtown. Same goes with Villablanca. Hotel Casona is close to downtown, has a pool, but isnt on the beach or have any water views.

Art

P.S. If you want a really nice non AI, I think Playa Azul is a very good choice north of town. (Right near El Coz)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,402 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

Casa Mexicana for a short stay in town gets my vote. I've stayed there several times on short stays. Think of this a resort like business hotel.

As mentioned above, the pool is small. But if you are palapa hopping around the island, you won't need it. CM offers a killer made to order breakfast in their open air atrium.

You are within walking distance of 90% of all the great restaurants in town.

if you want quainter, smaller and more boutique like, Vista del Mar, right next door is not a bad choice. They provide a continental breakfast to your room.

Due to the way the balcony doors "leak air" at VdM, CM is the quieter of the two.

For bike and car rentals, look on the right hand column of this website.

Edited: 5:46 pm, May 16, 2011
9. Re: Ai vs. Non-Ai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, May 20, 2012