We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Message For Co Pilot

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
4 posts
Save Topic
Message For Co Pilot

You seem to have a lot of info on Coz. Do you have any reccomendations for condos? Post Wilma it's hard to tell from the web. We're looking at Residencias Reef and the Cantamar

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Message For Co Pilot

Actually TexasScuba, you will get better responses by posting this as a general condo question. Over the years I have heard good things about Cantamar. This does not suggest anything wrong with Residencias Reef. I would look at the reviews to the left and at the site below and base your decision on their comments.

http://tinyurl.com/e4znc

Also note that almost any facility will get a negative review periodically. Base your decision on the overall views of many people.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Message For Co Pilot

We just got back from a three week vacation in Mexico - our last week, and favourite I think, was in a one-bedroom condo in Residencias Reef at Cozumel. It was fantastic. We were very impressed - quiet complex since there is only 1 1/2 buildings complete right now.

Some things to be aware of:

- there are no planned activities, or on-site restaurants etc... This is a residential community and is not finished yet. That being said there is also construction 6 days of the week - although this didn't bother us after the first day since it's not in the finished buuildings

- it is a $15 each way cab ride to town - plan on renting a car.

- the beach is beautiful and soooo close to the first building BUT after wilma there is much rocky areas for the first twenty feet or so - but very shallow far out and you can walk right to the reef for great snorkelling.

All in all - we will DEFINITELY be going back again. These are idividually owned units - we rented through cozumel.tc and they were excellent.

Cedar Park, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Message For Co Pilot

(I think my post got lost somewhere-If this is a repeat, I apologize)

My husband and I usually stay at the Caribe Blu, closer to town. We however are considering accomodations a little bit away from the hustle and bustle for our last week on Coz. Therefore, I have a few questions that you may be able to help me with.

1)What unit did you stay in?

2)Was it non-smoking or smoke-free?

3)Are there any restaurants nearby?

4)Do dive op's pick up nearby? Perhaps at the Reef club? We dive with Blue XT SEA.

Thanks in advance for any help. We would appreciate your input.

Sue and Mike, Cedar Park, TX

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,839 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Message For Co Pilot

Sue, I would repost your question under a heading about that facility...otherwise the person who stayed there may never see it. Since you are south of town Christi probably will pick you up but email her for specifics. Even if she had to pull up to the beach that seems OK to me.

Texas
Level Contributor
236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Message For Co Pilot

Linkslady and Toe Nail have stayed in the El Cantil condos that are downtown on the water next to the Palace. I am going there on March 10th. The pictures look beautiful and it is walking distance to many restaurants and across the street from the large supermarket. The website is elcantilcondos.com. Good luck!!

Cedar Park, TX
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Message For Co Pilot

Thanks Co Pilot; I guess I should have posted elswhere, your right....Anyway... I also touched base with Christi. I got it straightened out....Will most likely stay at the Caribe Blu...Our good ole standby...Has everything we need and we do enjoy it there. Never had any problems... In fact, it will be interesting to see the changes since Wilma. Thanks for your reply. Sue

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Message For Co Pilot

Hi texas scuba. Some people also make these decisions based on how far the condos are from the reefs they want to dive or how far it is from town. The Residencias Reef is brand new and as the other person stated who actually stayed there, there is construction going on. Two buildings are open, and I think 4 or 5 others are under construction. It is about 20 minutes south from downtown with only beach club restaurants nearby. Which means you pay to go into the beach club, and then pay at the restaurant. Plus they are only open during the day. When the Reef Club Hotel opens back up, which is projected for the end of March, you can eat there I think. But, the advantage is a beautiful sandy beach, and very close to Santa Rosa reef, Columbia, and Palancar. I have stayed at the Reef Club Hotel several times not the condos. I did most recently stay at a condo in town. That was a lot of fun. I did not mind the long boat ride down to Palancar. It was actually very interesting and a bit distressing to see the shoreline devastation along the way.

Minnesota
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Message For Co Pilot

I stayed at the Residecias Reef in early March, 2006. There weren't a ton of people staying there - which was nice as there was only one pool. Once this place gets filled up, they'll need to have another pool ... or it is going to be very crowded.

The major problem - and really only problem - I had with the place was that new construction was going on with the buildings surrounding the pool. One goes on vacation to enjoy the solitude and there was NO way you'd get that here. I would guess they're 6-8 months at least by the time they finish the building. Very noisy when sitting at the pool - and they'd work well into the evening. Start time with the noise was 7:00 a.m.

Staff very helpful. Nice beach. Coral didn't enable you to easily swim right off the beach - but if you had wetshoes you can enjoy a swim off the beach. Well-kept grounds. Damage to the trees around the place because of the hurrican - but it is still an attractive place.

A LONG ways - about 8-10 miles to town. NO dinner places nearby. San Francicso beach nearby has some good pizzas and burgers.

The condo we rented was very clean. Would recommend it again - # 5240. A 2 BR / 2 Bath place. Corner unit - gave nice views of the pool and the ocean/sunset.