We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Me -- What do I need to bring

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
13 posts
Save Topic
Help Me -- What do I need to bring

I've never been to Mexico ever -- we will be on our honeymoon for 1 week in Riviera Maya and 1 week in cozumel -- other than candles for the room and bug spray -- what do I need to bring that others kick themselves for not bringing??

Thank You!!

Portland
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

How funny, I was thinking of submitting a similar post. We will be in Coz for 2 weeks in mid march with 8 and 10 yr old sons. What did you bring that you were so GLAD you did and what did you wish you had brought along

Thanks so much!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
283 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

Hmmmm, I guess I have been married too long. Candles for the room is very nice and I have not thought of that. If you are going to Mexico soon (Feb-March) you probably won't even need the bug spray. We never have, anyway.

You want shorts, swimsuits, snorkel/dive gear and money, money and money. Not that it is expensive, you just can't seem to stop spending it.

We bring our favorite booze...they don't carry Windsor in that area, I grab creamer for coffee in the morning, and actually brought coffee the first time or two we were there (this is because we don't stay in hotels, we stay in villas). I don't even pack dressy clothing, I have, but never seem to use them, so now leave them at home.

You will want a light weight jacket for evenings...or ferry ride. Sunscreen, camera's and lots of film. Also, after sun lotion, you will more than likely get too much sun the first day out...can't help it, it always happens.

Have tons of fun.

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

When we went to Cancun we found that one our favorite things was one of those battery operated air fresheners with the oil canister. I think ours is glade or something of the sort. Anyways, we bought one at Walmart down there and picked up this papaya scented one. We still use it now and when you're gone from the house and come back it's fun to relax and remember Mexico.

Anyways, we found it really helpful because it cut through any musty smell that can develop in a humid place like that.

We also bought some cheap sheets at TJ Max or Target or something and put them on the beds for our own peace of mind (we heard crazy stories and decided to be "safe"). This wasn't necessary, really, but on the way back home they proved to be usefull because we wrapped the pottery items we bought at the markets in the sheets to protect them in our luggage. It worked great.

Something else? A Spanish-English phrase book with large glossary of words. This is especially helpful when you're dining out or need help somewhere. A $1 calculator from Walmart was useful in conversions, too.

A stack of $1 bill for tipping, taxies and small transaction.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
441 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

Large plastic bag for those wet suits on your last day comes in handy.

Candles or air fresener for the musty odors caused by the humidity.

Lots of single $$ for tips.

Sunscreen, preferebly the biodegrdable stuff.

Batteries and film, are more expensive on La Isle.

A fold up cooler.

Toilet paper is not ALWAYS in a restroom, pack some wetwipes.

Make copies of your passport and importantpapers to keep on you.

If you bring anything electric that has 3 prongs, bring a 3 prong adapter.

# 1 an OPEN MIND

"Travel with an open mind: be thrilled not provoked, with things that are different."

Quoted from Harry Olson, Chairman of Olsen-Travelworld Organization

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
938 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

Along with the items mentioned above I always pack a small umbrella and our large insulated mugs. Great for keeping drinks cold on the beach or around the pool plus if you are staying at an AI resort it beats those tiny plastic glasses they have.

henderson
Level Contributor
778 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

Your insulated mug and also something for the children.

Columbia MO
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

Coolie cups for the drink glasses and I always like to pack and old sheet that we can throw in a beach bag and as we travel around the island and if we see a nice spot it's always there. Takes up less room than a towel and will dry much quicker. Also works well for spreading across pool chairs in the morning and saving a spot and even to lay on over the chairs which can sometimes be a little rough. Again saves the towels from being so wet.

After a sun rash the last trip a nurse at the hotel recommended bringing a scrub for daily use to get all the lotions and oils out of your poors. She also take peroxide to put in your ears each evening.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

Watershoes if you are going snorkeling. Lip sunscreen. Sunglasses. Immodium/Pepto Bismol if you have issues (only bottled water in your mouth to drink or brush teeth). Small plastic bottle of vinegar to prevent ear infections (verify with your doctor). This assumes taht you go into the water.

A willingness to get out and explore the island (don't stay at your hotel the whole trip).

Portland
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

Co Pilot,,The vinegar thing is interesting, Ive never heard of this, can you tell me a bit more about it Thanks

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Me -- What do I need to bring

Diana, on my first trip to Cozumel to dive I developed a very painful outer ear infection. Upon return to the USA, I researched this issue and found several solutions designed to prevent such ear infections.

Some are a mixture of alcohol and vinegar. Supposedly the alcohol helps dry out water. The acidic white vinegar from your grocery store kills the organisms that lead to an infection.

I put some in a small plastic dropper container and place a few drops in each ear each day...let it sit a minute or so then drain any excess. I just use vinegar since I never felt I needed the alcohol part.

I have never had an ear infections since using this simple remedy.

Of course this should never be done if you have a ruptured eardrum or internal ear problems and you should consult a real medical professional to verify that it is safe. Or do web search to verify it. I am not an ear doctor nor do I play one on the internet.