We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping etiquette

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Mount Pleasant...
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
tipping etiquette

haven't been to cozumel before. does it matter whether to tip in pesos or US dollars?

Level Contributor
147 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: tipping etiquette

Regarding tips for diving trips... does the standard 10-15% apply here as well when tipping boat crew and divemaster? And do you just include the tip when paying or actually hand the tip individually?

Also do people tip cab drivers as well? Thanks!

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: tipping etiquette

Doesn't matter at all whether US or peso. I just use US as its much easier. Its been a while since I even got pesos when on the island :) As far as the dive trips, yes, 10-15% is the norm. A lot of times if they were "really" good and worked with us, I might just give them a $20 or so. Same with the fishing trips (deep sea or flyfishing the flats). I tip the divemaster and crew themselves. You may pay for the dives at a hotel dive shop, but its a seperate dive operation that takes you out. Its the guys on the boat that gave you the service : )

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,367 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: tipping etiquette

CKM, if you take 200 $1s and put them in your wallet it sounds like the Seinfeld episode where George has so much stuff in his wallet he had to fold napkins and place under the other cheek to sit level in a restuarant. Big bills, whether pesos or dollars can be a problem. When I get pesos from the ATM I like to break down the large bills at Chedraui.