We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

In April 2011 I rented a VW bug convertible from CP car rentals in San Miguel, Cozumel. The agent asked me where I was going and what I'd be doing. I told him I intended to drive around the island and would probably stop at a restaurant for lunch. He showed me on a map how to drive around the island and recommended a restaurant at Playa Chen Rio. Prior to leaving CP car rentals I took several digital photos of the car in case there was a question as to its condition when I returned it. When I left I followed his instructions to the letter and did stop at the restaurant he'd recommended. The time I was at the restaurant was the only time I left the car unattended. When I returned the car an inspection was done and it was noted that there was a mark on the rear bumper. This was not a dent or a scratch but merely a rub mark. I quickly viewed the digital photos of the car that I had taken earlier and my photos showed that in fact the mark was not there when I had rented the car. The manager asked me to come inside the office and advised me that I owed him $50.00 for the damage and he wanted cash. I was stunned! The mark could have been covered with one shot of paint from a $5.00 spray bomb. I realized at this time that I was being scammed. It is with the utmost certainty that I had not done anything while driving the car to put the mark on the bumper so it must have happened when I was at the restaurant. My guess is the manager of CP car rentals and the restaurant work together on this scam. I knew it was senseless to protest because if I did the police would likely be called and then I'd be paying them too. The moral of the story is don't rent from CP car rentals in San Miguel, Cozumel.

Canada

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

Never heard of CP car rentals - I always rent from a larger well known named place and get full insurance to cover such incidents. However - I have gone to Chen Rio many many many times and can say I seriously doubt they are in on any $50 scam for a no name rental place.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

Me too. I'm with Txgal on that. VERY UNLIKELY, but that's not to say the mark wasn't there because something touched the bumper, nor that a little elbow work couldn't have removed it. Seems like a scam, but not one which Chen Rio would be in on.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

Come on, really? So you are saying that for this scam to work they must make a new scratch every time? What are they doing, repainting the bumper every week?

What's the odds that you simply had someone scratch the car while you were there? Much better than your theory....

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

I agree with the other posters here.. you acknowledge the damage was not there when you rented the car (and I use that term lightly since it seems it was super minor) but if you didn't have the insurance then you are responsible, unfortunately.

I too always take out the full insurance (Thrifty) with zero deductible and don't have to worry.. but this definitely is not a scam.. you are at the mercy of the car rental agency and what they determine to be the "cost" of the repair.

By the way, WHERE is CP car rental and how much was the VW?

Edited: 12:31 pm, April 30, 2011
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,021 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

Another reason I use someone reputable like Margarita at Isis. Chances are, she would have charged you nothing or something very minimal. But thats how some of the local rental agencies make their money. Lucky it was only 50.

Denver
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

I think $50 is very deserving for such a stupid comment.

7. Re: Beware CP car rentals, San Miguel, Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 28, 2012