We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sand dollar diving at Reef Club Resort

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
sand dollar diving at Reef Club Resort

Anyone think this is a good company to dive with?

Do they have a boat launch at the Reef Club Resort like they do at the Fiesta Americana?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sand dollar diving at Reef Club Resort

I know that you have been reading my answers, and I want to be very careful about this one. I stayed at the Reef Clug just after it opened, and it has changed in many ways since then. They do have their own dock, so boat catching is easily done on site. With that said I want to aslo say that of all the dive operators I have used they were in my opinion the one that did the least to verify the competency of the people they allowed to dive. They had an on site facility to train & evaluate divers skills,, but for reasons I do not know did not do so in a manner I feel was adaquate. That may have changed, after all I dove with them in Feb of 98. I suggest you read all reviews of them before using them for your discover scuba experience. I am not saying don't do it, as an awfull lot can change in that many years, both good & bad. If you do use them armed with this information, as well as all the other input you have read on this forum then I think you will you will do well, after all an informed consumer knows exactly what they are looking for.

As far as the Fiesta Americanna I have never stayed there, nor snuck in to tour their facilities. They must have their own pier because they are a divers resort with an on site dive shop. All I can do is recommend you do the homework first, check the sites that a search of "dive shops in Cozumel" or Scuba diving in Cozumel" might lead you to. I am not trying to scare you, only trying to help you get the best for your money, while knowing that you feel safe.

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sand dollar diving at Reef Club Resort

Cicopo, thank you as always you are always so helpful. I am grateful for your opinions. My dive shop here will set up a referal for us. I am positive they know what companys will provide us with safe dives. I am glad to know that catching a boat off the pier there will be able to be done. That way if we are using another company they can pick us up in front of the resort by boat? That is a load off my mind. (and back - to not have to carry equipment and drive somewhere)

We are doing our training with SSI (Scuba Schools International) so whoever does our openwater dives with us will have to be affiliated with there training.) We looked at a PADI training dive shop in our area but the instuctor there seemed more like a used car salesman.

The shop we chose has some very kind and caring people working there and I trust them. We even paid each $120.00 more for our training with the SSI instructor over the PADI instructor. We wanted someone we could trust and with me being sick for the first 2 classes they have made everything ok in letting me know that I can go as slow as I need to and have extra pool time and one on one with instructor to catch me up. I dont know if the "used car salesman" would have been as kind.

I dont know what PADI training is like but we are very peased with SSI. and with our instucter.

I am also very excited to go to Cozumel. We will be down there the 26th of Feb thru March 5th. Cant wait to see the underwater world!!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,528 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sand dollar diving at Reef Club Resort

Sounds like you have everything under control. You did the right thing in picking your instructor. Diving is supposed to be fun, and if you don't feel good about your instructor then it won't be. It is not whether it's PADI, NAUI or SSI that makes the difference, it is the instructor. If we all use the same basic equipment then there can't be any one teaching organization that is hugely better.

In regard to the dock at the Reef Club the water there is deep enough that any boat should be able to pick you up. With most of the dive sites south of that area most boats pass there anyway, so stopping in is no trouble. Have a great holiday, I leave to return home just before you arrive.

syracuse,ny
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sand dollar diving at Reef Club Resort

T-blue, yes, Reef Club has a dock and yes Sand Dollar operates right there on-site. If you feel you are a competent diver (30 - 80 feet), then you should be able to handle the awesome drift dives in Cozumel! Just be sure you stick with your buddy - you'll never be alone!

Cicopo - I take exception to your comment that "all certification agencies are the same" - I am a specific supporter of SSI and thru the past few years have solidified my opinion that SSI attracts the best diving shops (ie safer), best instructors (ensure you are good at diving skills) and that SSI ultimately endorses the best overall approach to diver training, safety, instructor and skills requirements. The other cert's agencies succomb to your logic "it's all the same gear, so what's the difference in training programs?" It's all the difference! It's the difference between putting a check in the box vs. a person who has demonstrated competency at executing necessary skills underwater! I find that shops who teach following SSI methodology also believe in training safe competent divers. I can only liken it to "mind-body-soul" philosophy of Yoga! It attracts people who believe in what they believe. It's a practice, and diving is like a "practice" for many of us! I've compared about 7 shops in my area, and don't believe that it's coincidence that the 2 I will deal/dive with are both SSI members.

Ohio
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: sand dollar diving at Reef Club Resort

We dove with Sand Dollar when we were in Coz a couple of weeks ago. Our instructor/guide was Marcella and she was awesome. She was very thorough, patient and made sure we were all comfortable with everything before we dove and during the dive. I would not hesitate to recommend them. I trusted my 14 year old daughter with Marcella as well as myself and 2 of my other kids and would do so again.