We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing prescription drugs into Mexico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing prescription drugs into Mexico

What are the regulations about bringing prescription drugs into Mexico? Do they need to be in the original bottles?

Milwaukee,WI
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing prescription drugs into Mexico

I've never had a problem bringing prescription drugs into Mexico, I've brought prescribed sleeping pills, anti-anxiety, muscle relaxers (I get really BAD migrains and these help me the most) and my mom has brought her arsenol of anti-depression drugs...I think as long as they're in their original bottles with your name on them and not someone elses you should be fine

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing prescription drugs into Mexico

Prescription drugs and even non prescription drugs should always be in the original packages. It does not matter whether coming into Canada, going from Canada to the USA or from either of those to Mexico. If they are not in original packages and you are checked how will you ever convince a border guard what they are. Although you may do it, chances are they will confiscate the drugs, and possably make your entry turn into a nightmare. If they are prescription drugs the label must have the correct name on it identifing the person they are for, and that person had better be there to identify themselves.