We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars big enough for 7 people

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
410 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
rental cars big enough for 7 people

There are 7 people in our group and I'm trying to decide what to do about renting a car for part of our stay in Coz. I've heard such great things about Isis and I've talked to Margarita but she only has cars that will hold 5 people max. My dilemma is whether to try to find a place that has a 7 passenger vehicle or go with Isis and rent two cars. First of all, does anyone know if any of the reputable rental places have vehicles that will hold 7 people? Even if they do, would we be better of to rent two cars? It's more fun to go together, since we will usually be going the same places. Thanks.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

there are some places that rent vans and I know of one that has a couple suburbans. it will still be much cheaper to rent 2 cars from ISIS

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,729 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

I agree, likely cheaper to rent two cars from Isis , with their low rates and included insurance. I believe Executive has some larger vehicles but have no idea of costs and have read mixed reports about Executive.

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
410 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

Thanks Robert. I, too, have read poor reviews about Executive. How's the parking situation in the downtown area? I've only been to Cozumel twice, so I could have missed it, but I don't remember a lot of parking.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

Less Pay has a Tahoe or something like that for about $70/day.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

Less Pay also has a Suburban, but you might want to verify they actually have insurance coverage.

We usually park at the Mega (easy) and walk or park at the lot just before Especias. It usually takes us a few passes to actually FIND the right lot, but eventually we do. Just look for the World's Friendliest Dog and her owner. ;o) That lot closes at 9 pm. We moved the car to the street after 9 pm.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

If you are planning on going on days out, round the island for example, you may be as well asking a taxi driver with a van what he would charge to take you around for the day. Then you can stop off at the beach bars and have a drink without worrying.

Failing that, two cars would probably be the most comfortable.

I also recommend ISIS.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,729 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

I would be very careful with using LessPay. If you do go and they tell you insurance is included, I would ask to see proof of the insurance. Be careful.

I know of another rental company next to Abuelo Gerardos on 10 has vans and Suburbans but have never paid attention to the name. I will look tomorrow.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

Unless you know that all seven will go everywhere together, two vehicles provides flexibility if you really need car(s).

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

I emailed less pay before our trip in april about the suburban. If Im not mistaken I think it was about $100 per day with insurance.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rental cars big enough for 7 people

Get two cars. With 7 people odds are there will be times when not everyone wants to go to the same place. Also... if you aren't used to a van or 4x4.... they are less stable than regular cars. There will be enough distractions as it is.