We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Cozumel?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
One Day in Cozumel?

I have noticed numerous posts lately asking about what you can do when you only have one day to spend on Cozumel. So here are a few options that may offer the best opportunity to see Cozumel in a single day.

1. --------------- Transportation ---------------

If you choose to venture further than your legs will allow you have a few options available to you. You may take taxis or rent a vehicle or hire a driver/tour guide/van to get you from point A to point B. You won't need any transportation to explore the downtown shopping district, but to see the rest of the island you will need to choose from one of the above.

Taxis are readily and easily available to anyone needing them from the downtown area. Just be sure to negotiate and agree on the price of the taxi fare before proceeding. You can rent a convertible vw bug from Margarita at Rentadora Isis for around $35 per day WITH FULL INSURANCE, if you want the flexibility to come and go as you please. And if you have a larger group or plan on partaking of the spirits, then you can also negotiate a price to hire a driver with a full-size van for the day.

2. --------------- Shopping/Eating ---------------

There are many, many shops and restaurants in the downtown area that offer a wide range treasures for you to purchase. Feel free to negotiate the best price you can get at the gift shops. You may find that the further you get from the waterfront, the better the prices may become.

3. --------------- Beaches ---------------

You will find that the western side of Cozumel is lined with hotels and resorts of varying price ranges. You will also find a lot of ironshore waterfronts along the western shore of the island too with some sandy beach areas here and there. The further south you go along the western shore, the more sandy beaches you will encounter. There are numerous beach clubs along the western shore that offer a variety of amenities from water toys and swimming pools, to restaurants and beach bars. Some of the more popular ones are The Money Bar(formerly Dzul-Ha), Chankanaab Park, Mr. Sanchos, Playa Mia, Playa Uvas, Playa Corona, Carlos n Charlies Beach Club, San Fransisco, Playa Palanacar and the list goes on.

On the eastern shore, you will find miles and miles of pristine sandy beaches. This windward side of the island has a few very popular beach clubs/bars as well such as Punta Sur Parque, Freedom in Paradise (Reggae Beach Bar), Playa San Martin, Chen Rio and Coconuts Bar.

NO TRIP TO COZUMEL IS COMPLETE WITHOUT VISITING THE EASTERN SHORE...

4. --------------- Snorkeling ---------------

Cozumel offers both shore snorkeling and offshore snorkeling opportunities. Remember that the best snorkeling is found not along the beautiful sandy beaches, but along the ironshore areas.

The best shore snorkeling can be found at the following locations: The Money Bar(formerly Dzul-Ha), Chankanaab Park, Punta Sur Parque and just about anywhere along the ironshore that you choose to stop and visit.

Remember that the eastern shore, the windward side of the island can encounter strong currents so be careful with snorkeling along the eastern shoreline.

For offshore snorkeling opportunities you can choose from the popular booze-cruise style that includes drinks and lunch and these can consume the better part of the day. A couple of those popular offerings are the Manta Snorkel Tour and Tucan (Cozumel Sail). You can also choose from 1.5 - 2 hour snorkel only tours that may stop at one or two different locations. My personal favorite for this style is the snorkel tour from Playa Palancar.

5. --------------- Miscellaneous Attractions ---------------

Cozumel also offers a wide array of other attractions to choose from. You can visit the downtown Museum to get a feel for the history of the island and region. You can go horseback riding in the interior of the island. You can take an atv tour of the island. You can swim with the dolphins at the Dolphinarium. You can tour the Tequila Factory and many people like to visit the ancient Mayan ruins on the Transverse Road to the eastern shoreline. You may also enjoy booking a tour on the Submarine too. Do you play golf?

There are really too many options to list here. As you can see Cozumel offers something for everyone to enjoy.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

great info. Another option for rental car is Hertz at the NE corner of the square they have a fabulous 4 door jeep with AC , radio and automatic. I paid 65 last time but I have rented from them a few times. The posted rate is probably 75-85.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
99 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

Just one day in Cozumel!

:..(

Middleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

Do you know how I could directly communicate with Cozumel Bar Hop? Do they have a website/e-mail address? I've read several great reviews of this excursion and would like to know if they could accommodate 20 plus people for a fun afternoon in February, 2011. Thanks much.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

Sunshine tours also offers a customizeable island/bar hop tour. The email address is : julios@sunshinefuntours.com.

Here's the link to the Bar Hop website: http://www.cozumelbarhop.com/

Middleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

Thanks much, Jenster. I'm hoping we can get something set up.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

Nice job MS Diver!

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

what is an atv tour. We are arriving for the day on a cruise stop and considering doing the cruise tour or venture on our own. Can we get a taxi for the day to take us around, and how much would this cost

Georgia
Level Contributor
551 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

Yes, you can get a taxi for the day. Don't know the cost. Find a driver that speaks English, and negotiate the price up front. Others will have some input on price. Enjoy your visit.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

Elaine.. ATV stands for an All Terrain Vehicle..

cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/atvjungletour.htm

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,266 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One Day in Cozumel?

I cant believe an ATV tour would be very interesting. I see a string of 8 or 10 of them being led through the streets--and they visit the little village of Cedral where the residents think they are a nuisance (and I would agree.).

I think either a taxi or a rental car are much better options.