We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which AI resort for day pass?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Which AI resort for day pass?

Just returned home from Aventura Cove Palace near Playa and I am missing that all inclusive resort spoiling we received for a whole week!

I will be in Cozumel for a one day cruise stop 10am - 7pm in September and I was wondering if one of the nice all inclusives there has a day pass that can be purchased.

Which resort would you recommend? I would like something that is not too far from the cruise ship docks. Looking for a nice beach, pools, food, drinks - the works.

I would appreciate any information and if you have an email address for the resort, that would be terrific.

Thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Aventura
Aventura
Florida
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel Palace
Cozumel Palace
#4 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
The Explorean Cozumel
The Explorean Cozumel
#6 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
Playa Azul
Playa Azul
#5 of 52 hotels in Cozumel
olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

May I suggest you check out Cozumel Palace. It doesn't have a long natural beach for beachcombing as the resort is located along the ironshore, but they have created a nice man-made beach area above and adjacent to the ironshore. And the ironshore offers some decent snorkeling opportunities that you won't find on natural beaches.

Cozumel Palace is known as one of the nicer AI resorts on the island and you can't find any better food/ambiance/service on the island. I'm not 100% sure but I think the day pass is about $89 per adult?

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel Palace
Cozumel Palace
4,078 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Breckenridge, TX
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

Last November we were on a cruise and had a day in Coz and went to the Park Royal (we are timeshare members there) and the cost was $30 for the AI from 10 AM - 4 PM. It is about 5 or 6 blocks from the International Pier (an easy walk)

Mentioned in this post
Park Royal Cancun
Park Royal Cancun
5,045 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to follow up on those and see what the current rates are for day passes.

I am hoping to find something close to the cruise docks with walking distance being a real plus. I am not sure which dock I will be at, but I think it may be Puerta Maya.

I had read somewhere about a couple Wyndham resorts that offer day passes too.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Puerta Maya
Puerta Maya
99 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

Or, you can go down to one of the beach clubs. I like Playa San Francisco for its pool, food, and hospitality. It is right next door to Paradise Beach and Carlos Charlies Beach Clubs. Paradise has lots of toys (no pool) and Carlos Charlies is newer with music on a lot of the days.

Art

Mentioned in this post
Playa San Francisco
Playa San Francisco
140 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Paradise Beach
Paradise Beach
3,194 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

Nachi Cocom looks like fun to me, and I believe they have great feedback on Cruise Critic. I think Wyndham charges $50 for the day.

JOHNSTOWN, PA
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

An al inclusive beach club may be a better option for the day. We've done a few while on cruises. One that sticks in my mind is Mr. Sanchos.

Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

Although I like Playa San Franciso the best when you compare the prices with what you get, Nachi Cocom is the best in my mind when it comes to the place in general. A little higher than the others, but if you dont mind, its tops.

I personally dont think the cruise crowd bothers me, it just makes for that much bigger of a party!

Art

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
106 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I have been to Paradise Beach with our family and it is nice but it gets very crowded. It is a great place to party and fun for the kids with climbing icebergs and trampolines, but it is not what I am interested in for this trip.

I am more interested in a quiet location with great food, beautiful pools, good drink choices and great service. A picturesque beach would be nice, but I usually do not swim in the salt water.

We have also been to Nachi Cocum this last December and it is a very relaxing place and it was almost empty of guests the day we were there. The food there is ok and the drinks are good. The pool is small and the beach is ok. There is really no where to go there if the weather gets bad as everything is out in the open. That is one concern with going in September in case of bad weather.

There are two Wyndham resorts that advertise on Island Marketing's site. One is the Wyndham Cozumel Resort and Spa ($50) and the other is the Aura Wyndham Resort ($75). Are either of these resorts worth going to for a day?

At least if we go to a hotel resort and the weather gets bad, there has to be a lobby area that is inside. I think at Nachi they just let people into the kitchen area when the weather gets rough.

I appreciate all suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Beach
Paradise Beach
3,194 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Grand Rapids
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

I must be missing something. The pool is huge, and if the weather gets bad, you have the Good size Palapa to gather under. I thought it was very nice, and yes, it can be a little slower pace than the other ones, but it is relaxing on a stretch of beach that I think is hard to beat.

The food was good, and the drinks were cold. What am I missing?

Art

P.S. Personally, I don't like when I am staying at a hotel, let me use Fiesta Americana as an example, and the beach and pool gets over loaded with the Cruise crowd...

P.S.S. And that's what beach clubs are for in my opinion!

Edited: 8:57 pm, July 09, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Fiesta Americana Cozumel All Inclusive
Fiesta Americana Cozumel...
1,404 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which AI resort for day pass?

You don't mention if you're traveling with kids or not, but Wyndham is now adults only.

I would be willing to bet that the food and drinks are better at Nachi Cocom, though. AI aren't known for spectacular food...