We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar, Allegro, El Coz...Help!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Austin, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Iberostar, Allegro, El Coz...Help!

Planning Spring Break trip with husband and two boys, 5 and 8. Want a really nice property with good size rooms, great pool and really nice beach. Don't care about being close to town. Will be introducing kids to snorkeling. Would like a hotel with junior suite or something with roomfor the four of us. Any ideas...thanks so much!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar, Allegro, El Coz...Help!

As requested here is some advice. I have not stayed at the Allegro or Grande but have talked to people who have, plus read many reviews. Also I have never been north of town, let alone in any of the resorts in that area. The hotel with the largest rooms that I have stayed in was the Plaza Las Glorias, which is currently closed & not AI. The Iberostar has rooms which are OK for 2 adults and possably 1 child, but cramped with 2. The kids club at the Iberostar is excellent & I totally enjoyed the food at all meals. I like the layout of the property & the staff. The beach is the same one shared by the Grande, the Allegro and much further north the Reef Club. I stayed at the Reef Club in 98 just after it opened, again the room would be tight with 4 in it. There has been quite a bit of additional rooms & buildings built since then which I can't give advice about. From what I have read in some posts written by people who have stayed at the Grande it likely has the biggest rooms, and also seems to have excellent food. The Grande is situated between the Iberostar and the Allegro and you can walk from one to the other, it's a bit of a walk from the Allegro to the Iberostar, but only takes 20 - 30 minutes if that long.

I will warn you that they all will likely be booked to capacity for spring break, and even if they are not sometimes sister propertys on the mainland overbook and send the excess people to Cozumel. If you are going to be there for 1 week any will do, but you may be a little tight in the room, but 2 weeks would get a bit much in the resorts with smaller rooms. A big issue not mentioned is that sometimes the kids don't like the food choices, You are not in the US and the food definately is different. Most resorts do try to provide something they will like but no guarantee on that. I wish I were rich enough to try them all in a short period to do a head to head comparison but until I win the lottery that is not going to happen.

Right now its 4 weeks less 1 hour until my next trip starts, and I am trying out another resort this trip. I will write a full objective review when I return at the end of Feb.