We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years in Coz?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
New Years in Coz?

Hey Folks,

Heading down for our 5th trip but our first over New Years. Given all that's happened recently, what would you suggest for a little New Years celebrating on the island? It'd be nice to catch some music, maybe a little dancing and a few too many margaritas. Ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years in Coz?

Merry New Year Marcus, Would you like some Beef Jerkey ??

Me and my new wife along will be in cozumel for New Years. I havent heard of anything offically going on, but I'm sure that There will be stuff going on, Thinking some drinks at Fat Tuesday, then maybe to Viva Mexico.

After Wilma and the last few months, I'm sure the good people of Cozumel are going to want to Celebrate !

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years in Coz?

Cool Beans Ranger man! Haven't been to either of those spots yet but will have to check into them. Perhaps we'll bump into each other and have a toast. You divin?

Jerkey?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years in Coz?

Well you could say I'm taking the ultimate Plunge!

Getting Married down there.

Oh also doing my open water certification dives on the 29th & 30th !

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years in Coz?

Ranger, I think that it is unfair that you will do your cert dives in Cozumel. Warmer but unfair. Now put on that 6 mil and suffer like I did. Only then will you really appreciate how great diving in Cozumel is.

I would accept a polar bear plunge in place of your cert dives locally. :)

This does not apply to women folk.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years in Coz?

CO pilot.....

I'm from Minnesota.

We have 9 3/4 months of winter.

To qoute Jimmy Buffet,

"Lately, newspaper mentioned cheap air fare

I gotta to fly to saint somewhere

I’m close to bodily harm

Twenty degrees and the hockey game’s on

Nobody cares they are way too far gone"

No way I'd be getting in the water up here this time a year... on purpose.

Dive Cozumel, the only way to go....

Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years in Coz?

I'm coming in with a dive group on New Year's Eve afternoon, 12/31 and staying until 1/4. Looks like there will be plenty of people enjoying the holiday weekend in Cozumel!!!

Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years in Coz?

Ranger, get you a dry suit and you'll be good to go in that cold water up north. Okay, maybe not, but it sure keeps us diving for about 10 months a year in Texas. Not that the water is too cold the other two months, but its too dang cold when you get OUT of the water!!! Camped out this weekend at the lake and the water was 23 degrees warmer than the air outside.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
371 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years in Coz?

Yes, way too cold out of the water.

I will do some lake diving this summer, but till then its a darn good excuse to go to Cozumel !

Hey dont get upset, I'm just trying to do my part in Cozumels recovery.

"Uno mas Sol por favor, Dos Mas Sol"

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years in Coz?

Congrats Ranger! Sounds like a nice combination of events. Of course, anything, with diving in Coz, is a nice combo in my book!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,438 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years in Coz?

Ranger, the lake diving will be good experience. Most likely the viz will be poor so getting used to that condition makes you a better diver.

After your cert dives, try to go to the part of Palancar with huge towering reefs then end the dive over Palancar Gardens. Fact is that you are in for a great experience no matter which dive site you go to.