We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

My partner and I are planning a trip to cozumel 12/22 - 12/28. We both definitely want some beach time, but all the hotels seem to be just on the waterfront.

If we stay in the strip (casa mexicana, hotel cozumel, etc..) I know they have a pool..but what would the best suggestion be for a beach? We would like to stay near the center for food and activity, but wish our day time could be spent relaxing.

It seems we would need to rent a car/scooter or take a taxi.

Could someone give us some insight into what are some good beaches, how to get there and what are some local attractions that are must sees? I know that's a lot, and we appreciate it!

thanks

st

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

The better beaches/beach clubs are south of Reef Club. You will hear the names Playa San Francisco, Playa Mia (old Playa Sol), Mr Sanchos, Paradise Beach and Fury.

Please do not use a scooter. If you are not happy with using a taxi, rent a real car. There may be a bus that goes to that area but details are sketchy.

Check the Cozumel map from www.cancunmap.com

You could order it and if you do not like it send it back

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
283 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

I concur with Co_Pilot; I would stay away from the scooters, they are a danger. Rent a car or grab a cab. If you are only going from hotel to beach and back I think it may be cheaper to grab a cab, rental cars can get spendy.

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

Yes....I ditto Co-Pilot......NO scooters!!Since you asked, you might enjoy the San Gervasio ruins, the "other side", and why not stay at an intown hotel and head to the beaches each day, saving the evenings for exploring the downtown restaurants and sucking up the local color and the womderful Mayan folks who will be so happy to see you.

There are so many GREAT secret dining spots walking distance from all the downtown hotels.....they are cheap and friendly and you will come away with new friends!.......Betsy

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

ST,here is a link to what I did on one trip and it is not all encompassing by any means:

http://tinyurl.com/bdbw6

Some of my favorites include eating BR vanilla ice cream while watching a sunset and the Sunday evening activities on the square. That is not to be missed when I am there. I think I was there last December and the Sunday square festivities downtown were nice dances or other entertainment by the youth of Cozumel. Very nice. That is short walking distance from a place like Casa Mexicana.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

All the regular posters dissuade the use of scooters..I am a regular poster..My next trip to Coz,I am doing a motorbike of some sort..I am not a glutton though..I would never drive a scooter in town..The road heading out of town,has a special road,just for scooters..Where is the danger?? My only concern would be getting a quality bike,not in riding it..The DT area is a small fraction of the Island..As always,I respect everyone's opinion!!!

cozumel
Level Contributor
3,937 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

Maybe it's because many of us "regular posters" have had to scrape too many messed up, bloody tourists off the pavement??....I don't mean to be gross here but whether it is the rider's fault or someone else's, it just isn't pretty............and FYI, all of the crashes that I have witnessed personally are nowhere near the center downtown....I advised a cute couple to not get a scooter last spring and they thanked me after witnessing an accident where the person's HELMET was in pieces....you can imagine the rest of the story.......too horrible. I will also say that I CANNOT believe the number of drunk people whooping it up and weaving all over the place having a great old time...I guess until they end up in the hospital??.....my horn didn't work for awhile but I got it fixed fast to just be able to avoid this type of tourist....and I drive FAR away from anybody on a moped!!

But do what you want and JUST be careful....please be careful!! Betsy

Oregon
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

"All the regular posters dissuade the use of scooters."

Don't you think there is a reason for this?

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

Thanks Betsy..I ride a 250 Yamaha trail bike(and have for years)..I don't drink and drive..I would not be DT,not out at night,will personally inspect the bike,and always wear a helmet..

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
283 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

We also saw a scooter crash AWAY from town. It was down at the curve of Bob Marley's (I know I spelled that wrong), it was a female following her boyfriend, she took the corner just a bit faster than she should have, hit gravel and was pretty banged up. She ended up with hundreds of stiches. The scooter was fine, my son drove this girl back to town and his buddy drove the scooter, on the scooter trail.

BTW-did you see my post about driving down the scooter trail in a car? We thought it was kind of funny, but we noticed what we did immediately and went very slow to get off trail, we did get into trouble also. This was done after going to Coz many times and being familiar with the roads, we still drove down a trail ment for scooters, and we were sober. So was the girl that crashed her scooter.

NYC
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help! Beach time the priority, food, site...

well although this digressed into a moped debate, i wanted to thank everyone for their input.

copilot...will check out your site. thanks for the advice.

st