We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights from Cancun to Cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
flights from Cancun to Cozumel

It seems that a new link has been set up. How good, bad or reliable it is, I don't know but it looks interesting.

https://www.mayair.com.mx/

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

A few people on this forum have used them and liked it. Flight is 25 minutes and, checking a random flight in April, runs USD 69.93 one-way.

North America
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

I used MayaAir for a trip to Cozumel from Cancun a few months ago, it was fine. Flight left on schedule, and the short trip was enjoyable. It had been raining, and I found out later the ports had been closed, which meant no ferries were running from Playa to Cozumel at that time, so I wasn't ending up being stuck overnight in Cancun or Playa. Depending on how you feel about the bus and ferry trip, the flight is a good option. In the event we cannot find a flight landing in Cozumel, we would defiinitely use MayaAir again.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

That is really good to know. I'm not a fan of the bag drop, even though it isn't that difficult. I just haven't had much luck with it.

North America
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

BeCoz, I am with you - I swore after the last time I did the bag drag, I would not do it again. I found it to be physically exhausting and the last few times missed the ferry by less than 5 minutes because the bus pulling into the bus station at Playa was held up because of traffic congestion. The schedules for the ferry have changed again as well, and that combined with ferries not running due to weather was enough to pay a bit extra and have a more relaxing experience.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,222 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

It is very rare that the ferries do not run because of weather. But the traffic congestion in Playa can really be awful and delay the bus. But I will continue to use the bus and ferry route.

North America
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

When you have gotten up at 3 a.m. to commence a long day of travel, and your accommodation in Cozumel has been prepaid and the trip has been planned for a few months, the last thing a tired traveller needs is to discover upon arrival that the ferries are not running. While it is true that this may happen in rare instances, once is too much and our preference is not to lose a day or two of vacation and paying extra to stay in Playa and all the other related expenses. When down in November, the ferries did not run for 2 days. We have taken the ferry for day trips to Playa and surrounding areas, but that has been by choice.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,222 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

Everyone has to do what they are most comfortable with. I have used the bus - ferry route more times than I can count and really enjoy it.

For some time, I avoided the new air service since Cozumel based airlines have a less than stellar safey record. However, this one has managed to keep their planes in the air for some time and I would not mind trying them . (I usually will fly most anything--I worked for an airline and am a private pilot)

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

I agree Moonriver, we also have to get up really early to get to Cozumel from NY at a reasonable hour and the last thing I need is the added complication of bus delays, etc. I don't mind the bus and ferry going back to the airport but I don't want to lose a precious day of holiday because I'm worn out just getting there.

I will definitely give this a try, especially as Robert has given it the thumbs up on its safety record.

Alberta
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

How much time does one need to allow for ( customs, getting luggage , and making their way over to the domestic terminal ) to catch the connecting flight ?

I arrive on a Monday which is usually a slow day ..

10. Re: flights from Cancun to Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, September 19, 2010