We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Allegro Resort?????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Windsor Ontario
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Allegro Resort?????

how is this resort? Does anyone have any tips for us, as we are first timers to Cozumel?

Are there many Europeans or mostly Canadians and Americans?

Where would be a good place to a forty something couple go to party, as we are going the last week of January.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,897 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Allegro Resort?????

stayed allegro grand cozumel--if diving, great--pretty boring otherwise. staff is rude, food is so-so, isolated location, takes plenty of time to get there--taxi, ferry, etc. colonial style buildings not very attractive. small pool, nice beach, prefer palace resorts hands down and almost anyplace in playa del carmen instead. if allegro cozumel, I don't know but friends say grand is the best avail in coz, but grand is not anywhere as pretty and smaller. suggest cheap car rental--manual no/ac to tour around. check out Eco Divers in town--Jorge and great staff.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Allegro Resort?????

The first reply is a bit of a surprise, as anyone I have talked to has spoken highly of the food at the Grande. I do agree that all the resorts in that area are isolated from town, and if you are going for the diving you will be in the right place. Most of the diving is in the area where the Allego, the Grande & the Iberostarare locared. Taxi fare to town and back is almost the same cost as renting a basic car. If you are not going there to dive, just to relax and be warm then I would recommend the Iberostar over the Allegro, the cost increase is worth it right now because the Allegro is undergoing refurbishing. If you want more luxury then the Grande is the highest rated All Inclusive there, and the newest.

The main number of clients are from Can and the US, but there will be Europeans and South Americans as well due to the exceptional diving. Take the time to look back to the answers on this board regarding the different opinions and reviews. You will find all kinds of advice regarding what to do, where to do it and where to snorkel or who to dive with. When I accidently found this message board it was on page 3 of questions & answers, and that was only 4 months ago.

Other choices that are close to town and offer all inclusive options have lower ratings for their food, but they are still clean & well situated for walking to many popular places. Choosing either the Hotel Cozumel or the Park Royal (formerly the Sol Caribe) saves you money which I suggest you can use to eat out at the many fine and affordable restaurants. There are other resorts north of town but I have never been up to that area and will leave others to tell you their thoughts about them.

Winnipeg, MB
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Allegro Resort?????

I stayed at the Allegro beginning Dec 2004. I resort is isolated form the town. This is why we went there. We found the staff very nice. The food was good with lots of choices. Drinks were plentiful. The resort has two pools. One was closed during our stay. It reopened the day we were leaving. The other was closing for renovations as soon as the first was open. It would be completed by know. They are nice with a swim up bar in one and lots of activities to keep you busy if you want. Some of the rooms were being renovated during our stay. We had a look in them. Very nice. Our room was very nice. Ground floor next to the beach with a King size bed. This is what we had asked for. It had a slight musty smell. We got used to it by the second day. The beach was excellent. Lots of fish and very warm. We tipped the maid daily and some of the bar tenders on a regular basis. Maybe thats why we found the staff very nice. We had such a great time that we are planning to return same time next year. If you are expecting a five star hotel like you might get in the US or any Major city in North America, you will be disappointed. Again we loved it and will be returning next year.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Allegro Resort?????

OnatrioPal, please write a review when you get back. We are going the end of Feb. Thanks to Cicopo, also, good review. Have you used the dive shop there? I will be doing my open water cert.

Fins to the left......:-)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Allegro Resort?????

My reply was based on the Occidental GRANDE which the first reply said they had stayed at. The Allegro & the Grande are both owned by Occidental. I am confused by which one the first reply may actually be talking about, but someone wrote a fresh opinion after just getting back from THE ALLEGRO. Sounds like the refurbishing is going well & worth the trouble. These 2 resorts are not far apart, share the same dive operator and beach. I think some people need to be sure which one they are talking about, or reading about. They are of different quality & the costs are also different. Personally I could stay at each or any of them for a week as long as the diving & weather was good, I have picky food tastes but can always find something I like.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Allegro Resort?????

Denvernurse, I am also going to the Allegro (not the Grand) at the end of Jan. and will post a review in the hotels area when I get back.

Toronto, ON
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Allegro Resort?????

Stayed at Allegro this time last year. Food is BAD in buffet.

The Italian restaurant was very good " Maritzio" was amazing

I'm not a diver, however I hear that the dive facility are great.

Concrete bed left something to be desired, and if you don't tip the maid staff daily don't expect any towels. We were on the ground floor and came back to the room only to discover that our window was left open for all to enjoy and well as the bugs.

Sylvia the maid, if you see her please ask if she is enjoying all of my underwear that she graciously took from the drawer...

Don't mess with the omellette lady as she can be a little nasty..Becareful as she works the fruit smoothy bar as well.

Beach was great. Loads of sunshine and very relaxing, I guess it all depends on what your looking for.

Tip: Rent a car across the street and travel around to the far side of the island, very desolated and breathtakingly beautiful. Stop at Coconuts for some amazing food and large margarita's the best on the island.

The best dinner in town is, La Mission...We heard that is where the locals go for great seafood. We took them up on the offer and it was perfect. The grounds have a mini zoo, food is incredible and don't forget to order the naked coffee.

Have fun...Enjoy

Hola

Watch your underwear.....