We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexicana's cancellation policy; Grand Cozumel opening date

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Evergreen, Colorado
10 posts
Save Topic
Mexicana's cancellation policy; Grand Cozumel opening date

I called Mexicana Airlines. Their cancellation policy is fluctuating as they get info from the resorts as to their reopening, as well as other factors. Their normal cancellation or change fee is $100. However, this doesn't apply to flights to CZM through Oct. 30 (no cancellation fees). As of this moment, flights in November and December are still subject to that $100 cancellation/change fee, but that may change. She said to check back in a "couple of days" because they may have updated their policy by then. She said they understand the situation and are trying to help people. (Imagine that!)

Also, I called the 800 number of the Grand Cozumel/Occidental since they were supposed to have info about their reopening. The operator said that they were going to reopen on December 20th. I asked her when they were going to post that information and she said "later," so I'm personally a little skeptical of that date. (I wonder why they'd reopen the resort on a Tuesday?) Anyone hear anything different?

Mission, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexicana's cancellation policy; Grand Cozumel opening date

I talked to the occidental office today and was told the same thing, I asked "for sure" and she said yes.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,951 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexicana's cancellation policy; Grand Cozumel opening date

The 20th probably has more to do with historical arrivals for the Christmas/New Years period.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexicana's cancellation policy; Grand Cozumel opening date

I am concerned about Occidental's claim of a 12/20 opening date for both the Allegor and Grand resorts on Coz. I have a lot of money riding on a Christmas vacation, and I woud like some realstic unbiassed assessment of opening dates, and what condition the hotel might be in when it is openened (will they have pool, will they have amenities, or will they just have nice new rooms) Has anybody heard anything?

Puerto Escondido...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexicana's cancellation policy; Grand Cozumel opening date

I would be very very nervous about that date. The Mexican people are extremely industrious and hard working however they simply do not have the resources or equipment to do the job. I once watched a two-man road crew take about a week to move a large pile of crushed stone about 200 yards down the road using nothing more than shovels and 10 gallon plastic pails. Another gang took days to chip away a small section of curb using hand chisels and hammers. With proper equipment these jobs would take an hour or two. Things just move very slowly and dates will invariably get pushed.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,951 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexicana's cancellation policy; Grand Cozumel opening date

RVRdive, if your situation is that critical, you should consider going to a location/hotel that is operating today or will be within a few weeks. I am not advocating not going to Cozumel or your preferred hotel but Christmas is probably a high occupancy period. Use the "bird in the hand" philosophy.