We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intercontinental Presidente - any info?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Jose
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Intercontinental Presidente - any info?

Hi,

We're scheduled to stay and dive at the Presidente at the end of January. Has anyone heard any reports of how this hotel has faired? Do you think the Island will be well recovered/rebuilt by then, and the diving decent?

Thanks!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,478 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intercontinental Presidente - any info?

From this site:

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/icon/hd/czmha

"WELCOME

Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa will be closed to all arrivals until January 31, 2006 while the condition of the Island and the property are being assessed after Hurricane Wilma.

An update will be provided as soon as this is available. For all reservations arriving through January 31, 2006 no cancellation penalties will apply."

Diving should be fine.

southern California
Level Contributor
96 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intercontinental Presidente - any info?

The hotel is still standing, and the reefs are still there, but what about the Presidente's on-site dive shop? I've heard a lot of great things about the Presidente's dive op, ScubaDu. Do you think they'll be able to re-open after this, and is there a single dive boat on the island that the hurricane left afloat?

-Howdoesthiswork

San Jose
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Intercontinental Presidente - any info?

Thanks Co-Pilot. Looks like we'll have to reschedule our trip, as we were due to arrive on Jan. 30. Bummer.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intercontinental Presidente - any info?

Hi I found this posting from the Scuba Du web master on another board, I hope he doesn't mind if I re-post to get the info out. We have plans to arrive Jan. 28th, guess we'll be adjusting those plans....

"RE: Anyone have any information about the Presidente hotel a"

In response to message #0

I've been in constant contact w/David from SCUBA DU. He has spoken w/Jorge earlier today. The UN-official word is that the hotel probably wont be able to accept guests for at least 6 mos... maybe 8. There is extensive damage. In short description.. SCUBA DU.. as a physical location is "no mas".

However... Jorge has already began preparation for a satellite location. All but one boat has been spared. (SCUBA DU I) Again.. this is unconfirmed as I can't get in contact w/Jorge directly. As I understand it, Jorge is also working toward using his boats to bring in relief.

It sounds to me that SCUBA DU, even though the actual location at El Presidente is gone, lives on. Let's plan on giving them some business once they are ready to take it.

Jorge, Carole, Vanessa (and your new little baby), David, Jose, Luis- Felipe, Ofelia, Valle, Beto, Cornelio, Alfonso, Lucio, Erick .. and ALL the rest at SCUBA-DU.. know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

One last thing.. I happen to be the webmaster of scubadu.com. The website for SCUBA-DU. It has been down for the last 24hours or so due to, ironically, Hurricane Wilma hitting the Bocca Raton area of Florida. This is where the data center is that hosts their website is located. Hopefully, the servers will be up by Tuesday morning. I will do what I can to update their website with information about SCUBA DU and plans for the future.

Paul Jacobson

Mentioned in this post
Scuba Du
Scuba Du
435 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Florida
Florida
United States