We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Land Erosion or Sewage

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Land Erosion or Sewage

For anyone who has ever stayed at the El Cozumeleno or the Melia Cozumel at this time of year, I have a question. What's up with the horrible brown water that comes to these resorts???? The water at the El Cozumeleno is beautiful, blue water until the dark cloud arrives around 10:00 a.m. from the neighboring hotel area. The only thing that stops it from overwhelming the beach water is the pier that the El Cozumeleno built, obviously in response to this problem.

Is this soil erosion or sewage? I've never gotten a straight answer from anyone regarding this question. One bartender told me that this is erosion from Isla Passion and can't be helped. A maid in the hotel told me that it is waste, and we should not swim in the dirty water. What is the correct answer??

I feel so sorry for people staying at the Melia!!!! They must come to the El Cozumeleno for swimming or snorkeling, and then they get on the loungers and palapas that are paid for by the El Cozumeleno's customers and use facilities they have not paid for. I tend to resent this, but the hotel seems to accept it without a problem. I assume they must be good neighbors to the Melia, since this is a family run hotel.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Land Erosion or Sewage

I have for you the correct answer. It is neither sewage nor erosion, it is mangrove water, we have acres of mangroves (swamps like the everglades)just a few miles up the road from El Cozumeleño and Melia, and certain times of the year (more some than others) when the wind and or currents come from a certain direction, the ocean floods the mangroves, and the mangrove water comes trucking down the coast.

I heard a story here that El Coz wanted to go dutch on the pier with the Melia (those things are not cheap to make), and it would have been built at the end of their property, but the Melia didn't want to spend the close to 200K to do it, so El Coz built it on the end of their property, funny thing is right after that, the Melia did pay 250K to have the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders stay there for the making of the 2002 calendar & video, so the grapevine says....