We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

should we go to cozumel?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Wauconda, Illinois
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
should we go to cozumel?

My husband would like to vacation to Cozumel in February. I am leary after reading some reports. I have heard that since the plumbing in Cozumel is older, there are toilet issues. Also, I have heard that shops are famous for selling drug paraphanalia. We have been to Mexico before and love the all inclusive aspect. We have reserved (but not booked) a room at the Grand Cozumel. After reading several reviews, half are good and half are bad. We just want a nice vacation (Ritz-Carlton standards are not necessary)-a clean room, nice staff. Also, we loved Ixtapa and it's convient location to being downtown for shopping. Is Cozumel anything like this? Also, Hurricane Wilma is on the way. Any posed threats to affecting Cozumel?

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
The Ritz-Carlton, Cancun
3,184 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
San Francisco
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: should we go to cozumel?

I think you will fall madly in love with Cozumel. I can't say enough good things about it. The water is much, much cleaner than Ixtapa's. The snorkeling is fantastic and you may never want to leave the grounds if you stay at El Presidente! There are some issues with plumbing but in a nicer hotel, you won't have to worry about this. It sounds as if you've been reading more about Isla Mujeres than Cozumel (re:sanitation and drug issues). February is the perfect month to go. Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Regina Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: should we go to cozumel?

Not sure if I replyed to this post or not.....

Feb is a great time to go and will be there myself....join me for some diving,if you don't dive I can teach you.

I don't think you will notice the plumbing or the drug paraphanalia. The people are quiet and friendly for the most part...yep it's a hustle on the waterfront for the cruise ship people but once you get past that you will enjoy it,probably get hooked on it.

Ron

Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: should we go to cozumel?

Ron, In late February our family of 4 inexperienced divers will be staying in Playa and coming to Coz for a couple of days to snorkel and hopefully do some diving. Don't know whether to do the resort course at our hotel or find a dive shop in Coz. Haven't found a dive shop yet that I'm sold on that we can take our 13 yr. old daughter, 16 yr. old son, wife and know what we are getting. We just want to do a couple reef dives and see some marine life safely. This isn't something we will be doing much after our vacation so we don't plan on getting certified. Just want to do enough to get the kids to have fun. Also want to be $$ wise.

Mike

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: should we go to cozumel?

Hoffer, there are beaucoup dive shops that can help you. Just to name a few: Papa Hogs, Alison, Aldora, Liquid Blue, Living Underwater, Paradise, etc. Find any list of dive shops in Cozumel and most will do what you want. Just check their websites and look for resort course then call or email to see if you like their response.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Janesville...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: should we go to cozumel?

P54,

I've read a lot of what you and others have to say lately and appreciate the info. I've emailed to a few dive ops but haven't been overly thrilled with some of their responses. I will try some you suggest thanks. Are we better off finding a place in Coz that does something similar to a resort course rather than our own hotel in Playa? From all I've read it seems so but some ops are so vague about what you get and where you go, as in which reefs.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: should we go to cozumel?

Hoffer, first there is a maximum depth associated with a Discover Scuba Course. I do not know the depth but if you assume 40' that does limit the reefs that you can go to.

I did find some info on it which follows but I personally would do it in Cozumel rather than Playa. Simply because my assumption is that diving in Coz is mucho better.

www.liquidbluedivers.com/courses.php#discover

http://www.divewithalison.com/next_step.htm

www.papahogs.com/noframes/instruction.htm

Likely dive sites (no guarantee from me) include Paradise, Chancanab, Yocab, Dalila, parts of Palancar, Columbia Gardens.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Oregon
Level Contributor
75 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: should we go to cozumel?

I think you are on the right track thinking that a resort course, also known as Discover Scuba, is a good way to start. No sense in getting certified without trying it out first. Cozumel is a great place for that.

Liquid Blue is great. Alison has been highly recommended to me by another dive operator on Cozumel. I recommend www.bluextseadiving.com

Depending on where you stay in Cozumel, if the place has an on-site dive shop, they will probably also offer discover scuba.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: should we go to cozumel?

Whats up with the orig post....Toilet issues?...I had many in the states. Drugs?...No hurricanes in Feb....I would dis-regard this one...