We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villas Las Anclas/Rental cars

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NC
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Villas Las Anclas/Rental cars

Just returned from my first trip to Coz Oct. 8. Enjoyed my stay at Villas Las Anclas as recommended here. Spotless and roomy; nice touches like fully tiled bathroom & kitchenette. The courtyard sustained damage during the Hurricane and the large shade tree had been cut. There was a large pile of plant debris stacked outside our unit (back one) which they were trying get cleared. Even so, I loved the place and would return there in a minute. I enjoyed being in town, walking to restaurants & the square. If you can live without a pool and oceanview, it can't be beat at $70/night.

We reserved a car thru Budget & they said they had a location at the airport...wrong! They are way across town near the cruise ships. No representative, nada at the airport. We just ditched them and rented with Avis at the airport at the same price. I did notice a Thrifty Car rental just outside the exit of the airport. (about 100 yard walk) Just beware.

Wonderful side trip to Chichen Itza. We took the car across on the ferry, drove to Tulum and had lunch on the beach (Zanias), drove to Villalodid (many potholes on that road) where we stayed at the Meson de la Marques Hotel on the main square. A great colonial style old hotel with a fabulous courtyard/restaurant for $50/night. Next morning we drove 45 minutes to chichen itza found a guide and began touring the ruins at 8 a.m. We finished by 1 pm and took the expressway (autopista) to Cancun, stopped at Playa Del Carmen for shopping/drinks, then back onto the ferry to Cozumel!

Overall Cozumel had great diving, restaurants, and accomodations. It was rainy several days..take an umbrella.

Michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villas Las Anclas/Rental cars

Could you please provide more detail about the car ferry? I was unaware that this was even possible. If it is as easy as it sounds, I am going to be all over that this winter.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,680 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villas Las Anclas/Rental cars

For many years it has been only Executive and Avis at the airport. Smart Car rental I think was across the road. Are you sure it was Thrifty or Thrifty and Smart?

Indy
Level Contributor
466 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villas Las Anclas/Rental cars

Suzy must of been talking about the ferry to PM. Thats the only one I know. I hear its kinda of expensive. But to each their own.

NC
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villas Las Anclas/Rental cars

The car ferry landed just south of PDC. It was $32 each way on the ferry.

NC
Level Contributor
56 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villas Las Anclas/Rental cars

The "old" ferry went to PM, but took 4 hours. Don't do it. This car ferry is fast and lands at Calica just south of PDC. Just outside the airport exit I definitely saw Thrifty, there could have been others. Avis gave me the Budget price ($280/week) for a basic Chevy with

a/c and manual transmission. I really enjoyed having a car to explore the island. Oh, enjoyed getting a late afternoon cerveza at Coconuts on the Eastern shore.