We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving on a cheap budget

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Montreal
2 posts
Save Topic
Diving on a cheap budget

Hi,

I planned to go to Cozumel next March to see the coral reef but as a student my resources are quite limited. What will be the best package for me? Should I get one of those hotels+diving deal and take care of the airfare separately? Or should I just land on San Miguel and improvise from there ? How hard will it be to find accomodations once in San Miguel? Are they alternatives to big resorts such as motels? Would they be cheaper? Your advice are appreciated.

BTW, camping on the city park is a valid option for me.

Mentioned in this post
San Miguel
San Miguel
396 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving on a cheap budget

If you dont mind accomodation quality, then I suggest you arrange airfare only, and head directly to the town square.

There are many local and inexpensive hotels if your like Backpacking it. If you book in advance, more than likley you are paying commision fees up front to the booking agencies, so it tends to be a little higher. Just remember that is still the high season, and spring break time in March. We dont get a lot of it though, that is mostly reserved for Cancun. You can e-mail me for more info.

Dankom@casitademaya.com

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel Mexico
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving on a cheap budget

Hola,

Spend less on accomodations and don't go the cheap route for diving. Your life is too valuable!!!

I know of places downtown for $25 a night, 2 tank diving will run anywhere from 50-70 usd. Maybe less for more dives.

Do you have your own equipment?

Feel free to contact me, happy to help you!

cozumelkelly@hotmail.com

Happy New Year!

CK

Sonora, California
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving on a cheap budget

There are many dive shops in Cozumel. Dive Paradise left us alone in the water on a night dive while the boat went to pick someone up. They made up several lies about why the boat was gone when we surfaced but it really does not matter what happened when they left us. Black Shark is who I am going to dive with at the end of the month. They took wonderful care of us after our horrible experience. Check out some of the dive/stay deals as some are real good deals, sport diver magazine this month has many deals. You will not be disappointed in diving in Cozumel, it is the best I have ever done. I really enjoy Santa Rosa Wall. Have a wonderful trip.

Mentioned in this post
Dive Paradise
Dive Paradise
446 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Santa Rosa Wall
Santa Rosa Wall
1,088 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Nampa, ID
Level Contributor
28 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving on a cheap budget

If you can go at another time it would probably be cheaper, March being spring break time the rates are definitely high. I know there are some relatively cheaper hotels in the downtown area. For diving, be careful who you go with because there is a big difference in dive operators. Last summer we went with Jeremy of Living Underwater and he runs a first-class operation. Long dives with steel tanks, fabulous service and you will love the diving. You may want to check his website (living-underwater.com) and contact Jeremy, he is a super nice guy and will treat you right (may have some good tips on where to stay as well).

Montreal
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving on a cheap budget

Thank you all for your very helpful insights. I will check out all the leads that you gave me. Unfortunately, March is the only month that I could go. And I guess that I have to leave home my diving equipment as well, which is made for the freezing waters of the north anyway (7mm wetsuits with vest and strap-on fins). According to what you suggested, it is possible for me to focus on getting the best deal for diving and look for accomodations later once in San Miguel.

Well, if Columbus could land in the New World without an hotel reservation, I guess so could I (and I hope that it won't rain too much in Cozumel in March :)

Happy new years !

Mentioned in this post
San Miguel
San Miguel
396 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving on a cheap budget

You certainly want to leave that 7 mm wet suit at home. I dive bare in Cozumel, but very few others seem to. I have an in ground pool and it rarely gets above 80 degrees F in the summer so to me the waters of Cozumel seem comfortable. I ususlly go in Feb but March will be about the same temp. In all my trips the coldest temp stored on my computer was 76 F at about 120 feet down. surface is usually 80 F and 2 to 3 degrees colder way down. Do go, but if you are travelling at spring break I strongly recommend you make a reservation before going. The island is very busy then. There are lots of economy hotels there, and from what I have read here and on another forum they are clean & comfortable. You definately want to dive as much as you can afford.

Regina Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving on a cheap budget

Lots of cheap nice places. Try El Mar Estel for about $25 with a pool. Villablanca is around $50 and up. Pelagic Ventures dive shop next door.

Ron

Minneapolis
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving on a cheap budget

I have stayed at Vista Del Mar before and dove with Aqua Safari, which is right around the corner, so you only have to tote your gear across the street to their dock & boats. The room had 4 beds and was like 40 bucks, they might charge a lesser charge for additional persons in the party. And a previous stay a yr. or two before it was 20. a piece. They have updated and they list 44 bucks/night but I would try to negoiate for a cheaper price. Aqua Safari is about 54 bucks for a two tank boat dive. But for me the dwtn. loc. was perfect, and easy. No taxi's needed, and the Clinic is right around the corner if you should need attention from dehydration from food poisioning or whatever. Been there, done that,,etc.. Check out there web site or call for a price..you can see the dive shop at www.aquasafari.com