We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Primo Snorkeling Spots

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Primo Snorkeling Spots

Time to reverse the cards..Now,I need advice..My passion is snorkeling..I can not dive for health reasons..Where else in this World, can I experience the quality of snorkeling in Coz,For a similar cost?..My only guess is Rotaan or Belize...

USA
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Primo Snorkeling Spots

I never went to Belize because the reef is about 1/4 mile out and because of the boat traffic it's not safe to swim out to it.

At least that is what the locals who responded to my inquiries told me. I felt that they had a commercial interest in the whole transportation thing and there was no safe swim-out areas

for a reason. Lodging and transportation is the industry. I once saw an airial photo of the Caribean side and the reef did seem to come up close on the southern end of the small town that I assume we are talking about. This was about one year ago. If you "really" dig deep--there is a land developer on the southern end who has a very low cost "bare foot" type of

lodging system. I think their interest is low pressure land sales.

I've been to Rotaan and all things considered--it's "The Ticket".

The snorkeling is unbelievable at just about any place on the island. There's some great budget designed places to stay too.

Be sure you pick a place close to a resturant or two! When my wife isn't traveling with me I like those Bed & Breakfast type places. You can find places for as little as $25.00 a night on Rotaan that are in a stones throw of world class snorkeling.

For shore snorkeling Rotaan has Cozumel beat all to heck--

I love Cozumel, I feel like it's my home away from home but to be honest Cozumel is not even in the same league as Rotaan. This is just my opinion. Seems like there's a direct flight from Miami on certain days which makes for a interesting plan--but I like flying all over the place in prop planes and such.

Once caught a Crop-duster from B.F. Egypt to Dallas--oh God--

I still laugh when ever I think about it. It was straight out of a movie. The pilot, the plane, the one room terminal and the lady behind the desk--it was like some Humphry Bogart movie!

Good Luck

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Primo Snorkeling Spots

Thanks SS..You have planted the seed for Rotaan..As for Coz,what are your fave snorkel spots? I have not seen your posts and the one I did see, you said something had happened to make you stop posting..My personal fave spots (day and night)are: Coral Princess...Area of Fiesta Americana and Presidente,including Dzul Ha...

USA
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Primo Snorkeling Spots

Now that you asked, so I don't sound like I'm blowing my own horn, I got my feet wet in the snorkeling thing at the El Presidente on Cozumel. Not bad snorkeling there! Two months later I returned, by my self--staying at a great little Bed & Breakfast called Alicia's(for $25 a night!), and snorkeled practically the entire north face. It took two weeks but what a trip. There's some great places to snorkel all up and down the

coast from the north eastern to the north western end. What the locals call north and south doesn't seem to be relative to

magnitic north other than it's most general terms.

Since you have been there enough then you know that when standing on the sidewalk looking out over the sea--everything to your right is considered north and therefore everything to your left is south--

Not to drivel any further--My favorite place to snorkel was

starting where the Mexican/local beach ends immediately to the right of where the city stops--on north or to the right of the Azul. A fur piece. LOL

We're talking shore snorkeling of course.

I found that everything was more natural. There's a lot of eels

and a lot of different types. Bunches of octopus, lobster and

the usual fish. But after snorkeling the other places to the south this area just seems more natural and it is.

There's alot more current to the north but within fifty feet of the shore there's no problem unless you swim between two structures. The sea gets kinda funneled through and gives you a quick ride. With the currents and such there's little wonder why the organized affairs stick to the southern end.

If you are riding a bike you can park with-in the Azul parking area and walk right through their main lobby to the sea. Nobody seems to care.

Well, I'm losing my voice.

Chow!

USA
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Primo Snorkeling Spots

Yo 1LIFE2LIVE:

Hate to through a wrench in the machine but you need to check out Providencia Is. Columbia and also San Andres Is. Columbia.

I mean--for us Snorkeling Purists.

TEXAS!
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Primo Snorkeling Spots

Super Snorkel, on line ten of your 4:48am post from yesterday, you said " I've been to Rotaan and all things considered--it's "The Ticket". I beg to differ. Good mornin to ya.

USA
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Primo Snorkeling Spots

Sorry about that--it was just my opinion.

TEXAS!
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Primo Snorkeling Spots

Out of retirement for this one response. Actually Sports Radio 1310 "The Ticket" in D/FW is the real ticket. I was just pulling your leg. Sorry I left you off my top ten list, you're pretty good. Good mornin to ya.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Primo Snorkeling Spots

The sorkeling off Grand Cayman is good, not as good as Cozumel. But I did have my most incredible snorkeling there. It was in a lagoon just off Seven Mile Beach, I was in the water no more than 2 minutes and I saw a spotted ray. It was just swimming in a big circle. I got inside the cirlcle and started swimming around with it. Soon another ray joined in. For a good 20 minutes we swam together in a big circle.

The next day I bought an underwater camera, went back to that lagoon everyday. Everytime I was in the water without the camera, there were the 2 rays. If I had my camera, they were nowhere to be found.