We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
kansas
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

I have the worst time with popping ears on planes, but sometimes it will be blocked for a day or two. Has anyone ever tried those special earplugs you use during flying??

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,709 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

I have not but seem to recall others reporting positively about them.

My suggestion is to see your doctor and verify that you can properly equalize your ears. Consider the Valsalva technique which must be done GENTLY, early and often once you start descending.

St. Louis,MO
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

I have tried the Earplane brand of earplugs without much success. As Co-Pilot recommended, the Valsalva maneuver provides tremendous relief. It is a good idea to start practicing before your flight. I do this method before takeoff, during flight and before landing. You can also look into taking a decongestant before takeoff. You just have to be careful of this if you are on meds for high blood pressure.

Brick, NJ
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

I was flying to Florida with a bad cold and didn't buy them for the trip down.I was ready to cry my ears hurt so bad! I bought the earplugs forplanes at Walgreens for the trip home and they were great! Ihighly recommend them.

UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
4. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

They work for me - I use them all the time when flying long haul.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
403 posts
5. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

Traci, I also use them every flight. For me, they work like a charm. I used to fly for a living (I'm retired military) and I learned early on a trick the pilots taught me. Take a Sudafed (the full strength ones you have to get at the Walmart Rx counter) and Afrin nasal spray. It must be Afrin, not sure why. And it must be full strength Sudafed, no generic or less powerful one. Take them both one hour before your flight. Now, add in the Earplanes and its a win win. Sure, the manuever helps, but for me it isn't enough when flying. I dive and have no problems what so ever, go figure :) You'll find that most military pilots, at least Army chopper jocks, carry Sudafed and a bottle of Afrin all the time :) As do the crew chiefs. Put the earplanes in as they close the door or just before. Then take them out at altitude on the long flights. Put them back in just before the descent. I've used them for years now along with the meds and haven't had an issue since. Like you, my pain would last for days.

kansas
Level Contributor
81 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

Thanks for all the replys I will stop and get them for sure. I appreciate all your help.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

Chuck, Jim is retired Air Force. You guys will have something to talk about.

I've also used Sudafed when flying. I've had the worse headaches without it. Never had problems while diving either, Chuck. As far as clearing, all I do is swallow, even diving. I don't pinch my nose and the DM's always motion to clear. So, now I tell them before we go down to not bother me about it. ha ha

I may get ear plugs for Jim though.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,695 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

Bump - Here is a link we had awhile back...plenty of info.

granbury texas
Level Contributor
445 posts
9. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

forgive my ignorance but What is the Valsalva method? I do not have huge issues with my ears but have on occasion not been able to get them to pop for a bit....Thank you..

North Providence...
Level Contributor
448 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Has anyone ever bought the airplane earplugs?

I also use the earplanes every flight with great success, and highly recommend them. I will not even consider flying without them! On the recommendation of my ear doctor, I also use the Afrin just before takeoff and again just as I feel the plane begin to descend. If I do not have a direct flight, then I use the Afrin again only on the descent of the final flight. I cannot take the Sudafed, but take a daily antihistamine. All of this works like a charm for me!