We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day in Cozumel, last minute tips, do I need pesos?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
midwest USA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
One Day in Cozumel, last minute tips, do I need pesos?

Hi all, I have gotten great tips from you all, thank you. DH and I are in Coz for one day (cruise) decided to skip the excursions and venture out ourselves. We want to visit San Gervasio (sp?) and he wants to do a little snorkling. Should I have pesos to pay for things, or for one day will US dollars be ok? Would I just exchange some at the airport (we leave tomorrow!) or is an ATM ok? I am not the best at figuring out the rates, but have "bubbas" method with me. Anyone know if the ship can exchange money? Thanks for your help. Hey, any other must sees we should do while we are there, let me have em!

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day in Cozumel, last minute tips, do I need pesos?

For a one day trip I would just use my US dollars.. they are widelare better off just paying good ole US $y accepted.. unless you want to search out an ATM and exchange and then worry if you're going to be able to use all the pesos you just bought.. I'd stick to US Dollars..

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
204 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day in Cozumel, last minute tips, do I need pesos?

I would rent a car locally once you get off the ship, take the transversal road across the island. (Street name is Benito Juarez)..and you'll see signs for San Gervasio along the way.

Continue back on the cross island road, hang a right when you dead end....

Stop at Coconuts for lunch, then go to Playa Palancar and pay $35.00 pp and have them take you out for a snorkeling trip on their boat.

Have fun!

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day in Cozumel, last minute tips, do I need pesos?

if you use US dollars you will in most cases only get 10 to one plus tipping so if you are spending 100 dollars you are looking at 35 to 40 per cent on top i had 400 pesos left and will use them for my next trip or what your bank will charge you is much better than only receiving 10 to 1 or donate your extra pesos at the end of the trip

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day in Cozumel, last minute tips, do I need pesos?

wow.. I really need the edit button here.. guess I didn't proof my first post very well.. what I meant was ..

For a one day trip I would just use my US dollars.. they are widely accepted and you are better off just paying good ole US $.. unless you want to search out an ATM and exchange and then worry if you're going to be able to use all the pesos you just bought.. I'd stick to US Dollars..

Pedro is correct that alot of places still give the 10-1 so you will lose out.. if you rent a car they will give you a better exchange rate (and if you use ISIS it's a flat $35 US per day for VW convertible). I think taxis still do the 10-1. The snorkel tour mentioned at Playa Palancar is also a set US dollar.

I go down to Cozumel often and so usually bring pesos home with me too. No biggee.. but if you don't plan on going back to Mexico any time soon you may have an extra souvenier or two in your wallet :-)

It's just a matter of whether you want to venture into town to do the exchange. Most shops will negotiate US$ anyway.. Not sure what the restaurants are doing but last month at Kellys it was 10-1..

5. Re: One Day in Cozumel, last minute tips, do I need pesos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 18, 2009