We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The El cozumeleno

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Topic
The El cozumeleno

1st time visiting the "El CoZ." Just a little curious, how is the food? I'm not expecting 5 star, but 3 will suite. I have herd stories about beach towels......also how is the beach? What is the best way to get from the airport to the island.

Thanks in advance

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,627 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The El cozumeleno

Cozumel airport to that hotel is via shuttle. If not part of your package you will buy a ticket once you clear customs. Then into a van with 6-8 other sweating people going to the north hotel zone. Try to get the front passenger seat.

Oronogo Mo
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The El cozumeleno

does that include the funjet shuttle???????

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The El cozumeleno

No shuttle... just me and what ever means.

Bixby, OK
Level Contributor
457 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The El cozumeleno

We have stayed at the Coz 3 times and are returning in November for stay # 4. The food has been progressively better in our opinion. Again, not 5 star but at least 3 star. The inside restaurant is very good but the menu does not change much. You should eat there at least once (dinner only). While you are.... there will be at least one speciality buffett outside. It will be very good. For breakfast, you can get fresh eggs cooked any way you want as well as omelletes. Breakfast and lunch is outside under the large palapa.

The beach is great with fair snorkeling right off the beach. A short walk up the beach (south) and you can get even better snorkeling. Don't go north (brown water)... lots of seaweed.

I do not know what you mean about the beach towels. They have a check stand open each morning where you check out a fresh towel and return it in the evening.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The El cozumeleno

Thanks... really good info. Our 1st time in Cozumel, I've been to Playa twice and loved it. At the El Coz, can we rent mopeds? Also, any suggestions on booking 2 rooms next to each other? Plus, how long is the ferry ride from Playa? How much?

Thanks

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The El cozumeleno

How is the weather in November?

Bixby, OK
Level Contributor
457 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The El cozumeleno

You can rent mopeds at El Coz as well as cars and jeeps. They do not have a great selection but usually can get some from town if you give them notice. Get the insurance. It is not that much. In the past, if we emailed the El Coz a few weeks in advance and requested rooms together, we were accomadated. Last trip we had 4 rooms in a row.

I have never taken the ferry to PLC but I think it is about 30 minutes and about $30 USD. Check other posts for exact amounts.

The weather in November is about 85 during day and 75 at night with very little rain (usually) and fewer mosquitoes. Paradise!

Oronogo Mo
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The El cozumeleno

what is El Coz email address??

Bixby, OK
Level Contributor
457 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The El cozumeleno

sugarberry,

If you go to their website.... www.elcozumeleno.com

you will find a email address there. I think it is under the Contact Us tab.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,627 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The El cozumeleno

By "shuttle" I meant vans. I strongly discourage riding mopeds in Coz unless you have no concern for your safety. If you choose to do so...and you are male, please do not take women or kids with you.