We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coral Princess - trip report

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Coral Princess - trip report

Just returned from Cozumel. My Fiancee and I were due to be married on July 25th at the villa's Iguanas and Ranas on the south end of the island. Our flight was set to leave at 5:00am on Friday July 22nd. I found out on Thursday July 21 at about 5:00pm that not only were our villa's uninhabitable but also that my wedding planner felt that it was no longer feasible to be married and have the ceremony that we wanted. My Fiancee and I decided to have our own ceremony in our back yard right then and there. I had 23 people already en route to the island. With a lot of slow breathing and a lot of help from friends we managed to secure 8 suites at the Coral Princess. They were honest with us in that they were about 80% up and running and would be 100% by Monday July 25th. We arrived and were stunned by the amount of damage on the south end of the island. The Coral Princess is on the Norhern end and, although a lot of debris was around, the hotel was relatively unscathed. The employees were extremely kind and accomodating. Everyone enjoyed themselves a great deal. My one bit of advise, bring bug spray with DEET!! Nothing else works and our legs show the evidance.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Coral Princess - trip report

I am glad there is so much support between us! Yes, we are/were all in the same boat. We arrived in Cozumel less than 1 week after Hurricane Emily and stayed a week in Cozumel. When we arrived there was definate damage, but it was truly amazing to see how much improvement came with each new day. We never really saw people cleaning up, but sure enough, each day the island looked better and better.

Any Bride to be that is getting married in Cozumel in the middle of November (or later) should really just relax, if possible :), and let their guests know not to worry. I too had 20 something people presuming that I had some kind of inside information with Mother Nature and should therefor know the status of the entire island! The people of Cozumel are amazing. Take comfort in knowing they will all do everything in their power to clean up and have things back to normal as soon as possible. Try not to get bogged down with answering questions just yet. Send out a general message to all involved stating that as information is available, you will happily send it out. That way you can wait until the end of the week or early next week to get a real feel for the damage that the island sustained and the progress so far.

Keep deep breathing and only surround yourselves with those that will support you and not speak only of the HURRICANE!

Congratulations to one and all!

Central, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Coral Princess - trip report

As mother-of-the-bride,my heart was broken for my daughter and new son-in-law, when they were unable to complete a year's worth of preparation for their dream wedding because of Ms. Emily. It was Coral Princess to the rescue, however. They had wonderful rooms for all of us, the water was the most beautiful color I have ever seen.

The staff and resident's of Cozumel were unbelievable, in what they were able to accomplish in a very short time. They worked day and night to clean the Island, which looked like Gonzilla had walked across it, and almost hourly you could see progress being made.

The staff of Coral Princess went above and beyond to see that our little group was happy and that our accommodations were satisfactory. They were very much satisfactory.

My daughter and her husband were exceptional in their effort to, "Take Ms. Emily in stride."

We had a wonderful trip and I got a new son-in-law! Thanks to the Coral Princess and residents of Cozumel.