We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Indianapolis, IN
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

Planning a future dive trip and I'm only familiar with Reef Club and Allegro. Are there any similarly priced locations that offer a nice beach for apres diving relaxation? AI is not a deal breaker.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
190 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

Your best diving spots are off Cozumel; but that took a hard hit from Emily if you're planning on going to Cozumel soon (alot of renovating & reconstruction).

I found the Barcelo Maya had the best beach-being almost a mile & a half long and private with a pier to snorkel off and alot of palm trees & chairs to sit on with hammocks near winding pool, although I think the further south you go (Akumel & near Tulum) the better the beaches are

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Maya Tulum Resort
Maya Tulum Resort
410 Reviews
Tulum, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,068 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

I am arriving on Cozumel tomorrow and have heard directly from residents that Cozumel is FINE, There are a few hotels not open, yet but otherwise back to normal. Don't believe what you hear about the island not being ready for visitors. They recovered very quickly, but TRAVELAGENTS are trying to switch people to the mainland for some reason.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Dallas
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

I have to agree with the previous post... just read all the posts here and you will get first hand information from the locals and other travelers that Coz is doing great. Travel Agents (no offense) are in the business of covering their "hiney". Yes there was a hurricane, yet there was damage, but many things are back to normal.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
190 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

sorry to upset the previous posters, but I never "steer" people to anywhere they don't want to go. I'm trying to make an honest living, why kick travel agents around, I just pass on what I know, and the hotels in Cozumel aren't up to the standards of hotels on the mainland, and I've been going down to Mexico for 30 plus years. There were some hotels that have had some damage south of Playa del Carmen & Cozumel that were hit more from Emily than Cancun. If the resorts are up to your standards in Cozumel then great, enjoy. No problem and bickering and insuations against travel agents please. Take it elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

Check out the El Presidente. It is south of town so fairly close to dive locations, and they have a sweet beach. It is man-made, but I dug it when my wife and I vistited in Feb. Also, great snorkling right off the "beach". Garden view is all i can afford there.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

Travelagent you are right on..Most people,plan and save for a vacation..My hard earned money,demands,I get what I pay for! Cozumel is one of my fave destinations,but God willing I will see it next year..This winter my$$ will be in Rotaan..The Coz faithful,including myself,wiill be back!!!

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
ontario
Level Contributor
29 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Resorts with nice beach (south of town)?

Please remember Travel Agents are trained experts wih many years of experience traveling and training. They do NOT have resorts that they are payed extra to promote. They are there to try their best to help their clients choose a location that suits all their clients needs and that list can be long. When I read these posts (over many weeks) I have to laugh when people complain about trivial things (compaired to the devistation of a hurricane) like "the room smelled musty" 'the food was not gourmet" yet seem more than willing to jump right into a holiday in a resort that has had all it's trees blown over, plants detroyed and beach eroded by a hurricane.

When a travel agent suggests that his or her clients try a differnt location because of hurricane damage, it is not just "covering their hineys". It is trying to match up the right place with their clients needs, so the client comes home happy...not yelling at the travel agent because the resort did not look like the pre Emily photos. Believe me, there are people who will blame a travel agent if the weather is poor or a flight is delayed. I was in that business for 10 years.

If an expert in the business feels that Cozumel this year may not be right for one of her clients due to many reasons, Cozumel will be there next year and the southern all inclusive beach resorts will be in much better shape then. Far better to have a great holiday at a resort that delivers what it promises than to have your heart set to go to a resort that may be technically open but still a mess. I still plan to come to Cozumel in Dec, but I will be very careful about researching which areas are still being repaired.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico