We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cozumel is NOT "destroyed."

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cozumel is NOT "destroyed."

Yes several southern hotels are closed for one or more months due to hurricane damage but most hotels are up and running or will be in a matter of days. I have heard that there are vacancies starting this weekend so if you were scheduled in Iberostar, Allegro, Occidental Grand or the Reef Club, there are many other hotels available.

I am not concerned about the affects of Emily and I will be going soon.

Cozumel
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cozumel is NOT "destroyed."

I'll say it's not destroyed. I'm sitting here in my house in the middle of downtown. The sun is shining, the breeze is blowing. The two 50 ft royal palms that are still left in my garden after the other came crashing down during the storm are waving gently in a soft wind. From my roof I can see the turquoise colored ocean twinkling invitingly.

It's lovely. The electricity works, the streets are clean and the service industry is eagerly awaiting the arrival of tourist at the same time they are horrified and dismayed at the negative unresearched news that has inexplicably found its way into the media.

There are tons of nice rooms and the people here are warm and friendly. And will be very glad to see you.

I will also say this is a particularly good time to come as it will be less crowded than usual due to the fact that some people have been scared off and the charter companies are doing this very strange dance with the flight cancellations. What on earth is all THAT about I cannot help but wonder.

Stay in town or north of town if you're coming this week. Next week you can stay as far south as El Presidente. I live here, run a large information website about Cozumel and have personally toured the island in my car, stopping at each hotel and checking it out for myself so as to be able to get a more accurate word out that what is being represented in the media.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cozumel is NOT "destroyed."

Thanks Carey. It is because of folks like you, Antonio, and others that we are getting the real GOOD NEWS. Sure the southern hotels need work but there does not seem to be a reason for wholesale cancellation of flights weeks from now.

If there were an official website that told this story and indicated how many hotel rooms were available, we could help save a lot of vacations. (See my post on Post Emily Assessment/recommendation on travelnotes)

PS, I assume that the Cozumel airport is open for business.

Cozumel
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cozumel is NOT "destroyed."

Yes, the major airlines are flying again into Cozumel as of yesterday

Carey on Cozumel

www.cozumelmycozumel.com