We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

occidental grand

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
cheshire
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
occidental grand

can anybody tell us what the situation is with this hotel following hurricane emliy? we are due to go out for two weeks in august and our tour operator is telling us nothing

The Original Salsa and Salsa
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes
Tours Plaza - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Safe Tours Cozumel
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Wild Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Norfolk UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: occidental grand

Hi,

We are also going to the Grand Aug 28th and I have been trying for two days to get official info, I got through to our tour op First Choice a little while ago and apparantly their quality control people have not got to cozumel yet but will be going round all the hotels tomorrow she says they shd know something late tomorrow or Friday , not much help I know but its down to the tour operators to have the official news and I suppose they will give us our options depending that.

Cozumel
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: occidental grand

The Grande was seriously hit and various estimates for reopening range from October to December. I live on the island and my husband, AJ, and I took a trip south yesterday for our website and tried to assess the damage so we could report to people like you who are coming to the island soon.

We talked to disgruntled guests at the Grande who were wandering down the road as we drove up. They were very unhappy with management of the hotel who never told them what was happening and just herded them into a safe room and kept them all there until it was over. Then when they couldn't get out afterwards because the airport was closed, they charged them the same or more for rooms. This was not the case at places north of town like El Cozumeleno, Melia and Coral Princess where guests were very pleased with how kindly and efficiently they were taken care of by the staff during the adventure.

These guests told us that although the hotel has a generator for electricity, a wall fell on it during the storm. So not only are they a long way from town with many poles down between them and service again, but their generator doesn't work and these are very expensive and very difficult to replace. So I would most strongly advise you to make alternative Cozumel plans. I would suggest you stay:

In town, north of town or no further south than Fiesta American or El Presidente. North of town has resumed electric service already and has some very pretty all inclusives, condos and rental villas. Downtown has a lot of nice rental villas, some lovely condos and a number of verynice hotels. Also nice hotels close in south end of town.

Buena Suerte (good luck!)

Carey on Cozumel

www.cozumelmycozumel.com

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: occidental grand

switch to the Cozumel Palace, very nice resort, pretty much no damage according to Palace resorts. Frank the TA

Chicago
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: occidental grand

We are due to arrive at the Occidental Grand on 3 August. I called the 1800 number on the Occidental main web site and they said that the hotel is not accepting guests "until further notice". She said that they have a damage assessment team currently on site and that they hoped to be able to offer more definitive information either Thu or Fri.

At this stage my best guess for visitors planning to arrive within the next few weeks is that they should look at making other plans - we are.

Cheers,

Jim in Chicago

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: occidental grand

Hello Beebonnet.

We're also due at the Grand on 28 August to celebrate our 30th anniversary (flying from Manchester). Like you we can't get any sensible info out of First Choice so I guess we'll just have to wait a few days. Looking around, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of alternative holidays should they decide to cancel.

Let us know how you get on with First Choice and we'll do like wise.

Good Luck

Leeds, UK
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: occidental grand

Hi, many thanks for the info on the Occidental Grand, we too got onto First Choice who said they hadn't heard anything so the holiday was still going ahead. Told them about reports such as these but they said it was news to them and they only relied on news from their own reps on the island! Great to know we've booked with such a professional outfit!!! We're due to stay at the Occidental Grand on 31st July to 14th Aug with 2 kids, plus we've got family staying there in September too, so we're all keen to know what going to happen.

Just out of interest, are we eligible to ask for a refund from our tour operators or are we bound to accept a similar holiday elsewhere. Alternatively can we claim on our holiday insurance or is it classed as an Act of God and not covered?

Regards,

Jaz

Worksop, England
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: occidental grand

No availability for anything in Cozumel over the Summer. I have just been informed I have a CHOICE of either Malaga or Ibiza but only when official word comes through from the island.Until that time First Choice wiill keep my money and then refund it to me within three working days ! Very helpful.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: occidental grand

I am arriving on August 15th for our Honeymoon at teh Grand Cozumel and we are gettign now response from GOGO WORLDWIDE VACATIONS. As many of you knwo this is ALREADY a stressful time for me and now I have NO IDEA what my situation will be for my honeymoon. I did find out they are not acception new guests but does anyone have any suggestions for this stressed out bride?!?!?! Has anyone heard anything more?!?!? Please email me or reply! Tnya831@aol.com

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,920 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: occidental grand

Anxious Mom, I am skeptical of their response. I suggest finding out what options you have on airfare only and start calling hotels. Avoid Iberostar, Allegro, Occidental Grand and maybe Reef Club.

This link is a start. Look to left edge for links to Hotels and Bed and Breakfast

travelnotes.cc/cozumel/links/hotels.php

Check into cheap calling cards for this such as www.prepaidcall.com

You can follow the link for calling from other countries (then UK) to Mexico which may be at

prepaidcall.com/cgi-bin/…

17 cents per minute to Mexico

lincolnshire,ENGLAND
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: occidental grand

Go through to customer service at first choice 0870 901 6522

be polite but firm and tell them you requie an answer NOW and will accept nothing less,ask what they can offer as an alternative(which is sweet fa) if they cant find you anything tell them you want a ful refund,they will need to get managers approval and you should then get refund.Idid this and they rang my travel agent and refunded 100% within 30 minutes.make sure to get the full name of everyone you speak to.

good luck

stand your ground,you are the customer after all.

steve