We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Clearwater, FL
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

From cozumelmycozumel message board:

Just received the attached via email from Dave Dillehay at Aldora Divers:

"Even though the eye went through the south end of the island damage has been minimal. I would like you to post the following item:

For our concerned friends and customers…don’t worry!

Last night at midnight the northern eye wall of Emily passed over Punta Sur with 135 mph winds, and slightly reduced velocity in town. It is now gone on to bother others and we hope they have as much good fortune as did Cozumel.

At 8 am Memo Mendoza did a preliminary survey of damage. Some power lines down, branches in the streets, but apparently little or no water damage. There was no tidal surge at all. The Villa Aldora suffered a little water in the Courtyard Norte, Barracuda Suite, and Cameron Suite, due mostly to wind driven rain. My long suffering dock at the Villa (wiped out by Ivan last year) had no damage at all.

All of our boats were safe on land and tied down. As of 8 am on Monday we are dragging them back into the water and getting ready to dive again. It is our goal to be diving tomorrow, July 19th.

We have not been able to check out the rest of the island and we fear that some of the beaches on the windward side may have been damaged and our friend’s windward hotel, Ventanas Al Mar, was certainly at risk. We will provide a more comprehensive report when we have information."

Burbank, California
Level Contributor
412 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

Thanks for the informative update!

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

I feel better, thanks. Glad to hear everyone is ok!

Clearwater, FL
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

The buildings in Cozumel are built much more sturdily than the houses here in Florida. They are tough. And since it was a fast-moving storm, there wasn't the extended pounding that so many hurricanes cause.

I was worried about flooding and tidal surge, but it sounds like it wasn't a problem, at least on the west side of the island.

Hurricanes rotate counter clockwise and Cozumel was hit by the northern part of the eye. So all the winds (and the hurricane itself) were driving east to west. This probably had the effect of actually driving water AWAY from the western coast and San Miguel. That must be why Aldora's dock wasn't damaged and why there was no flooding reported. I bet we find out that Cozumel's west side was less hard-hit than PDC.

I wonder what the east side of the island is like. It could be that the east side sacrificed itself so that the west side could live.

I apologize for all my speculation... just can't help it!

Witney, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

Thanks so much for this update. This is what I have been waiting to hear as we go on Thursday for a diving vacation at VillaBlanca just S of the town. I guess it'll take a few days for the vis to improve but this is most excellent news!

Dallas
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

TampaJack... thanks so much. I am now crying tears of joy... bot don't want to get too excited yet. Please update as you can. So... maybe I will be arriving on Wed????

Galveston, Texas
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

Thanks so much for the GOOD NEWS update!!!! Our vacation plans bring us to Cozumel August 15th and we are so concerned about Cozumel and it's wonderful people.

Clearwater, FL
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

I hear you, ABMOM. My son and I are re-excited about our trip on Friday!

I think that all of us who are going to Cozumel this week will have a great time. Many people left before the hurricane, and probably some people will cancel their trips. And maybe even the cruise ships will avoid the area this week. It might just turn out to be a great time to go!

The key is when power comes back on. When it's on, then life can get back to normal. Let's root for it to come on by Tuesday!

Dallas
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

TampaJack, Keep me posted on whatever you find. I have attempted to make contact to any and all people in Coz and have had no luck. I am greatful for your post from someone there. It is truely the only informative post I have seen off the island. Now I need to get a report from my hotel... I have been calling them all morning, but I imagine they are a little busy.

Witney, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

TampaJack - my thoughts EXACTLY! Lots of people will have panicked and canceled so hopefully it'll be nice and quiet ; )

I think we'll have a great time too! So what if there are minor inconveniences and trees downed. I can cope with that as long as I get to dive and the beer is cold.

Clearwater, FL
Level Contributor
50 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A very encouraging report from a Dive Shop re hurricane

Assuming that the airport re-opens this week, maybe we should all get together for a beer on Saturday night!

We can post it on the various boards and bring together all of us who are arriving at the island shortly after the hurricane. We should celebrate that Cozumel skirted disaster and that our vacations were saved!

Where would be a good place to meet?