We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba/Hotel recommendations

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
USA
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Scuba/Hotel recommendations

I will be doing a Cancun trip in September and plan to spend 2 nights in Cozumel to scuba dive. It seems as if the all inclusive packages provide the best deals but I can only find ones with a minimum of 3 nights hotel, 2 days of diving. My ideal Cozumel schedule would be:

Saturday: arrive in Coz afternoon, check in to hotel, find dive shop, rent all the equipment for 3 people, do either a shore dive or P.M. boat dive

Sunday: do a 2 tank A.M. boat dive and either a P.M. boat dive or a night dive

Monday: do a 2 tank A.M. boat dive, return equipment, check out of hotel and ferry back to Playa in the afternoon

So I'm just wondering if anyone has a dive shop/hotel combo to recommend. Somebody recommended Dive With Martin but I'm not sure what hotel is close or would be best to stay at to take advantage of their shore diving and rentals. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba/Hotel recommendations

You could try Aqua Safari, who operate the Safari Inn which is a good combo (www.aquasafari.com) or you could try Tom at the Flamingo hotel, he is a regular here, and he has a dive operator he uses. Another place to try could be Troy or Jimmy at Pelagic Ventures (www.pelagicventures.com) I believe he can make arrangements for accomodations for you, and I dove with them last Feb and can highly recommend them from personal experience. Dove with Aqua Safari in 2000, also can recommend them with good thoughts, but they may have only slow boats.

Streamwood, IL
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba/Hotel recommendations

I also liked the deals offered by Aquasafari...but we wound up going with bay adventures and stayed at Hotel cozumel as it also included a PM boat dive (depending on which hotel you stay at)...their packages range from 3-7 nights. They are based out of Florida, are very helpful on the phone and are members of the BBB. The dive operators vary by hotel.

Level Contributor
87 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba/Hotel recommendations

We went with Dive with Martin our last visit this winter. We could not have been treated any better. Also, their prices include rental of all equipment! I do believe he works with a couple hotels that are near the International Pier, where they are located. They are very accommodating. We have also gone with Aqua Safari, where your afternoon dive is only $9. We have always been very pleased with them. They have two dive shops; one in town and one inside Cozumel Palace. Going there this week and can't wait! We will dive with Aqua Safari this time because of their location. We can highly recommend both!

New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba/Hotel recommendations

I returned yesterday from a week in Cozumel. Whatever you do, do not stay at the Reef Club. While its location makes it easy to dive with Sand Dollar, the Reef Club's food made me and my friend so sick we missed two days of diving. Because the resort is not near a store or restaurant, you're at their mercy.

On a previous trip I dove with Emerald Dolphin which was great. I also have heard good things about Blue Angel.