We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time "hopeful" vacation in Cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yakima, WA
Level Contributor
216 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st time "hopeful" vacation in Cozumel

I'm trying to find somewhere for my husband & I to go in Dec., to celebrate his birthday. I'ved looked into various places, including Cozumel and Maya Riveria, as well as Cabo. Any ideas on weather in Dec? As well as great hotel ideas??? My husband's dream is to swim w/ dolphins, so any ideas on that?? All help GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!!

Houston
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time "hopeful" vacation in Cozumel

Cozumel is a great and cheap get away. Also a great WARM place to visit in the winter. December may be the best time to go. Last year my whole family went down and my 68 year old mother swam with the dolphins at Chancanaab park. I think it was around $100.00 dollars or so. It is supervised but he will get to touch them, hug them etc. The coolest thing is they will instruct the porpoise to put it's nose on the heel of his feet and propel him through the water to get enough momentum to do a superman out of the water. He will love it.

Hotels: Just click in the hotel section and find one that suits your needs.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time "hopeful" vacation in Cozumel

We stayed in PDC in December 2004 and in Cozumel in March/April 2005 and had a great time. The weather was still nice. A few cloudy days in December and one rainy day in April. The snorkeling in Cozumel is unbelievable. All kinds of fish, coral and other aquatic life to be seen. I did a night snorkel and had a ball. My wife stayed on shore and worried every minute I was in there. The pictures came out great, they can be seen on my review of the Coral Princess.

Make sure any water you ingest is bottled. Even when brushing your teeth. When you go to a restaurant, refills are not free and the check will not be given until you ask for it.

Have fun.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time "hopeful" vacation in Cozumel

Cozumel is a great place to holiday, but that doesn't mean that everybody will enjoy it. I have been for 2 weeks in Dec and the weather was great, lows were high 60's and the highs were mid 80's to high 70's every day. I think it rained one day for a few minutes but no more than a half hour. As far as the dolphin swim, there are 2 places with them, one in town which recently opened which is 1 block north of the Cozumel Palace (formerly the Plaza Las Glorias) and the well established one at Chankanaab park. The swim at the park is well spoken about by those that have done it.

Cozumel is famous for the diving & snorkeling, plus it is a very safe place to walk around exploring its town or the remote beaches on the east side. It is not famous for beautiful resorts on white sand beaches like some other areas. The beach area of Cozumel which has all the all inclusive resorts is a sandy beach, but it has soft sand which makes long walks turn into a good workout, plus many areas have rock or dead coral lining the bottom. None of the resorts in town have beaches, however the Presidente which is just south of town does have one.

Another nice thing about Dec in Cozumel is the Christmas activities for the children. In Dec you will be approached to make a donation and they will sing you a Christmas carol, and the moneys all go to a big island party for them. There are extra activities at the town square etc. If you have specific questions as to what you are looking for in a hotel or resort, side activities etc just post them so we can give out opinions which may narrow down the search.