We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas Scam!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Gas Scam!!!

FYI Just got back from COZ yesterday..BEWARE..When fueling our rental vehicle I asked for $20 gas. I got out to make sure the pump was reset to 0 When finished the guy said ok,20 After observing the gauge it read 20 meters,not dollars This works out to around a $8 rip-off per non observant tourist!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas Scam!!!

Wow, Its kinda FUNNY....First thing, we all should be on the metric system. First thing is, 20 meters is around 66 or so feet.

It should have been liters...which would aquate to 5.3 gallons, at 2.25 a gallon=$12.00. So there's the eight dollars. That is why everyone should get pesos while in mexico. This is a perfect example. Since everything is set by pesos, as is the gas pumps, I can see the the scam taking place. Unfortunate, but it was only eight dollars...Ive seen plenty worse....Count your blessings...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,090 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas Scam!!!

I agree with the other post. You shouldnt really be using dollars to pay for gas at a Pemex station. Thats just asking for trouble.

Puerto Escondido...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas Scam!!!

Gas is one thing I use pesos to purchase.

I always get out of the vehicle, ask for a specific amount ($100 pesos or whatever) and stand there and watch the pump. They know what I'm doing, I know what I'm doing, no problemo. They're very experienced at picking victims.

It is aggravating though to always have to have one eye on your wallet.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas Scam!!!

Right Dan! It was Liters..And no,they did not get me!!On the plus side,this is probably the biggest crime here I never felt safer!!

Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas Scam!!!

One more thing to watch for, they can turn a 200 peso note into a 20 peso note before you can blink an eye. Always show them the bill and make them acknowledge the denomination. Unless you like $18 for a magic trick.

Phoenix, Az
Level Contributor
279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas Scam!!!

Two things on this topic. #1 if you speak even proken spanish you are less likely to be targeted. #2 in any purchase if you get change and look puzzled, look at the bill and ask again how much it was, they usually right a wrong. I had the same thing happen once where I asked for 40 dollars... I think I got 40 pesos at first because he was done filling in like a min flat. I restated 40 dollars americanos and they kept pumping... in my situation I didn't think it was malice, just a simple communication mistake.

In a way, if you aren't observant you deserve what you get... I can't tell you how many times in the states I have handed a $50 and got change for a $20 since the person didn't really look at what I handed them. Always be aware of what you are paying- anywhere.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas Scam!!!

We were warned at the car rental place to watch and make sure the pumps were reset to 0000 before they started pumping. This is another way they can scam you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas Scam!!!

On all gas stations in Coz, there are signs in english stating to make sure all pumps are set to zero. If all would just pay in pesos instead of US dollars, no one would get scammed. If the meeter says 200.00 then you pay 200 pesos. The scams will continue long into the future as long as exchange rates from US to pesos are calculated by a gas station employee.