We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Service info please......

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Houston
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Service info please......

I understand there is a bus service that runs from the outskirts to town and it only costs $2.00 per person. I dont know where else it goes but I know for sure to passes the Allegro and goes into town.

This sounds like a deal just depends on if you can catch it or not.

Does anyone know of where else the bus can go or have anyother ino? For example does it go by Coconuts etc?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Service info please......

The new bus service does not circle the island...It starts right outside the airport and goes to the north hotel zone, then returns back through town to the south hotel zone...and just loops from there on....Here is a news article on it:

Beginning this week locals and tourists alike will finally have an affordable alternative to traveling via taxi to the north and south hotel zones. With the price of travel now 20 Pesos via the bus service instead of $20 USDollars via taxi, the new service will immediately benefit workers of the hotels, tourists and the public in general. The buses will be operated by 2 competing entities: Union of Cabdrivers and Union of Permisionarios of Urban Transport with each receiving two routes.

The municipal president Gustavo Ortega Joaqu��n made the official announcement accompanied by the state Secretary of Communications and Transportations Sergio Manuel L��pez Villanueva, Juan G��mez Pacheco of the Union of Cabdrivers and Edwin Garcia Valdez of the Union of Permisionarios of Urban Transportation of Cozumel.

The announcement emphasized that with the new cost effective bus routes available for everyone, the public should begin to rely more on public transportation and decrease their reliance on motorcycles and cars which will ease traffic and parking issues throughout the city.

The bus route that will go to the north hotel zone will ciruclate beginning at the Andr��s Quintana Roo park on Ave. 11 and make its way to Ave 30 where it will head south and then turn to east to follow Calle 35 Sur in San Miguel II up to Ave 65 and head north to the airport Golondrina and then will take the airport boulevard to Rafael Melgar in order to continue toward the north hotel zone.

The bus route heading to the southern hotel zone initiates at the airport Golondrina passing south on Ave 65 until it reaches Calle 35 Sur where it will turn west and run to Ave. 30 where it will contiue north to IMSS at the stoplight. Here the route will turn west on Ave 11 bound for Rafael Melgar where it will turn south and take the coastal highway.

Houston
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Service info please......

Thanks for the info!

Puerto Escondido...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Service info please......

If it is run efficiently and on time it will be a great service. Downtown shops and restaurants will definitely benefit from a larger number of out of town guests going in to San Miguel much more often. The taxi's loss is the shop's and restaurant's gain. In my opinion, more money will be spent overall on the island. I just hope the buses don't run on a "Mexican" schedule...if you get my drift.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,384 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Service info please......

The problem is, it doesnt pass through the central area around the main square. Tourists can use it but the route is designed more with the locals. in mind.

Houston
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Service info please......

I would still think if it comes close to town then only a $5.00 taxi from drop off point. I wonder what the hours of operation is on the bus service.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,384 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Service info please......

It does come close to town--enough for a cheap taxi fare or, for me, within walking distance. I havent seen the operating hours.

USA
Level Contributor
176 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Service info please......

Dan Kom--Thanks a million for all the information.

After walking from 65th to 5th many times this news is really great!

When they say the North Zones do they mean to the Azul too?

I mean, that's where the really great snorkeling starts if you're a strong swimmer.

Think I'll put Cozumel back on the top of the list!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Service info please......

Hey Super,

If you mean Playa Azul....Its a direct stop....But better yet...Try Dzul-Ha. That is the hot spot right now. Lots of marine life, In between Presidente and Fieasta Americana. Here is a link:

http://cozumelmexico.net/Dzul_Ha.html

dankom@casitademaya.com