We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun to Playa: Van or bus

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
houston
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Topic
Cancun to Playa: Van or bus

This is my first trip to Cozumel. Can anyone could tell me if I should take minivan or bus from Cancun Airport to Playa?

I understand that travelling time is the same.

Thank you all.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun to Playa: Van or bus

I have done this trip many times and my personal opinion is the bus is the best as it is direct, has great ac, and is overall more comfortable than the van. The van cost is double and it often makes several stops before reaching playa to let people off at some of the large resorts. Sort of like super shuttle where you keep telling yourself you will never do it again becuase your time is too valuable.

enjoy

tom@hotelflamingo.com

Cancun
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun to Playa: Van or bus

I used transtrail everytime and recommend you their shuttle. the driver are a great source of information and tips very useful, and spoke fluent English, which help, believe me....

Phoenix Arizona
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun to Playa: Van or bus

Take the Rivera bus from the Cancun airport to Playa Del Carmen!

After you get through immigration and customs look for a counter that says Riviera Bus Playa Del Carmen. Tickets are $65 pesos or US $7.50. If by chance you can't find the counter, go outside and look for a white bus with blue waves and fish along the bottom and "Riviera" on both sides and just buy a ticket from the driver or a RIVEIRA bus ticket agent on the sidewalk in front of the terminal There sometimes are people in the way so look. If you miss the booth don't worry. After you run the gauntlet outside--walk to the right and you will be in front of the main terminal. The bus will be out in the parking lot just after the terminal ends. It is like a large tour bus (greyhound type). There is only the one public bus from the airport. The cabs and private bus or vans will charge you $50 to $60 for the same ride and they drop you off at the same corner as the RIVEIRA bus.

At Playa Del Carmen the bus station is a short 1 1/2 block walk to the ferry. As you exit bus terminal go to corner, the terminal is on the corner, and look left you will see water 1 block away. Across from the bus are ticket booths for the Water Jet and the ULTRA either one is fine.

Once you arrive in Playa Del Carmen, you can either hire a porter who will carry your luggage to the ferry pier on a tricycle or if you're traveling light, just walk towards the shore and turn right and you'll see the ticket booths for the ferry about a block away.

I hope this help!

We took this route for the first time in April. We had no trouble and we had a lot of luggage as we took all our own dive gear with us. Last year we flew into Cozumel.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,561 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun to Playa: Van or bus

I agree with the posts that say to use the Riviera bus. To me, its a waste of money to use the van. The bus is very comfortable and , I feel, much safer than the van!

Regina Canada
Level Contributor
111 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun to Playa: Van or bus

Interesting....Personally,I take the van to Playa and return via the bus.

The van is more expensive but I have allways enjoyed the drive and only once did we make a stop to a large resort.

I find it allot more fun and sociable to take the van and have allways had lots of laughs .Let's face it you are on vacation.

Ron Brandt