We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NV, U.S.
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

Hi there,

I am planning a trip to Cozumel in July 8th for a week and really need some help with choosing a hotel.

I have read most of reviews posted on the net and the information is so much that I am truly overwhelmed!!!

From the research I have done, it seems to me that Presidente Intercontinental is the best one in terms of the location and the beach. I am snorkling-addicted and have been to nassau, cancun, sharm el sheikh (Egypt) etc and just love seeing and swimming with beautiful sea animals!!!

While on Cozumel, we are planning to take a couple of excursions to playa del carmen and some mayan remaining sites as well. Presidente Intercontinental appears to be of a high-class hotel and we are not sure whether it will be worthy it to stay there since we will be out snorkling most of the time.

Any suggestions for the hotel will be greatly appreciated. We do not care much about parties and all. All we need is a great beach and excellent snorkling with convenient location.

One more question! From the photoes of Cozumel, most beaches seems to be rocky, is it true? Is there any white sandy beaches like in Bahamas as well?

Once again, any advice will be appreciated- thank you!!!

Mentioned in this post
Presidente InterContinental Cancun Resort
Presidente...
2,680 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Las Vegas Nv
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

I am staying at the Presidente the same week you are going. I stayed at the Fiesta Americana last year and it was a nice hotel with good snorkeling but not much of a beach. I haven't been to the Presidente but have heard lots about this place and heard the snorkeling is the best there,with a good beach. The side of the island that has all the hotels doesn't have beaches like Cancun does and yes there is alot of rocks. The other side of the island has some sandy beaches but no hotels and not recommended to swim in from what I have heard and seen. I have always stayed in all-inclusive hotels in Cancun and Cozumel but wanted to stay here this year to give it a try plus try out some of the restaurants the island has to offer.If you don't have a map of Cozumel go to www.Cancunmap.com and they will send you an excellent map for $8.00.It tells alot about the island including hotels,restaurants,things to do. They send you the map and if you like it send them the money and if you don't like it,send it back. Hoped this helped.

Mentioned in this post
Fiesta Americana Cozumel All Inclusive
Fiesta Americana Cozumel...
1,285 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Texas
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

Presidente is indeed very nice and there is good snorkeling in front of the hotel. It is, however, about five miles from town. Cozumel Palace has just opened. It was the old Plaza Las Glorias. It was completely gutted and went through nine months of renonvation. All rooms are oceanfront and have their own jacuzzi. It is in the very best location on the island as it only about a 10 minute walk.

The hotel is all inclusive and I believe they offer some free tours to some Mayan ruins on the mainland. Check out www.palaceresorts.com for more info. As I said this hotel is just opening and we stayed at it many times when it was Plaza Las Glorias. We now have reservations for July 6.

Most of the beaches in the hotel zone are man-made as there is a lot of iron rock along the shoreline. However, if you dont have these rocky formations you will not see many fish as they are the underlying structure for the coral reef. The beaches are fine you just have to go up and down some short steps to get in and out of the water. Best snorkling from ths shore is probably at Dzual Ha. Any taxi driver will take you there. Also the snorkel boats take in some excellent reefs. Avoid boats that take divers as they go to reefs that are too deep for snorkeling.

The best beaches are on the east side of the island. Particularily Chen Rios and Playa Bonita. But, there are often dangerous rip currents that can pull a person out to sea. There is a safe sheltered area at Chen Rios and also a nice restaurant. Its worth renting a car to see the east side and stop at the national park at Chankanaab.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel Palace
Cozumel Palace
3,928 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
Mayan Palace Riviera Maya
4,298 Reviews
Playa Paraiso, Mexico
Playa Bonita
Playa Bonita
370 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Irving tx
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

The Allegro Cozumel is probably the only hotel on the island that has a great beach. There are no rocks and it's lined with palms. The snorkeling off the beach is also good, and they have a dive shop on the property which is supposed to be one of the best. Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Allegro Cozumel
Allegro Cozumel
4,997 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

We stayed at the Coral Princess and the snorkeling right off shore was INCREDIBLE. The beach was nothing to wrote home about. A man made concrete platform covered with a foot of sand. Most ot the hotels in the northern part of the island have plain beaches. The resorts on the south side have wide sandy natural beaches. At least the Reef Club and Iberostar did. We toured those properties while we were on the Island.

At most resorts you choose between a nice snorkeling place and wide sandy beach. Wide sandy beaches are generally not found near coral and rocks that the marine life desire.

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,230 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,212 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

Presidente Intercontinental is the best, no doubt. I prefer it because I don't want an all inclusive. Too many good places to try the food on the island.

Everyone has different priorities. I would disagree that the Cozumel Palace is the best location. It is close to town but not good if looking for a beach location. And, of course, many are upset at what Palace resorts did to timeshare owners when they took over Plaza las Glorias--but thats another story.

Mentioned in this post
Cozumel Palace
Cozumel Palace
3,928 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Presidente InterContinental Cancun Resort
Presidente...
2,680 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

If snorkeling is a big passion, then Cozumel is the place. You may even want to consider taking a discover scuba coarse while there and getting even closer to the marine life. The good news about Cozumel is that it is a small island, and even if you choose to stay in one area it won't take long to get to any other area. The bad news is that does not have the type of hard white sand beaches that many go there expecting. The beaches on the west side, where some of the resorts are located are soft sand, and have rocks, grass, etc in the water along them. The main feature about the beaches on the east side is they are more sandy, but the swimming conditions are less safe, and due to constant wave pounding there is no visability for snorkeling.

If you want to be at a beach, have great snorkeling within swimming distance, and the All Inclusive option, then I think you are out of luck. The Presidente has the beach, but not AI, the Fiesta Americanna has the AI, but not the beach, although there is a small beach about 1/2 way between the two. The best shore snorkeling is the area from Corona Beach, which is just south of the state park (Chankanaab) all the way to the location where the 2 cruise ship piers are located. Those piers are about 2 miles from the town center, maybe 2 1/2 miles. The Presidente is about 1 mile south of there and the Fiesta Americanna about 1 mile south of the Pres. Considering that there is about a 4 mile stretch of really fantastic shore accessable snorkeling, all for free, then it seems like an endless way to use up many days of a vacation.

If you need some time to dry out, but don't want to be bored then try and count the number of tourists that have paid to come by boat and snorkel these very same areas. Many will have booked a snorkeling trip while on their cruise ship, and will be snorkeling close enough to the very same ship that brought them to Cozumel that they can still read the ships name.

Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

What about the AI's on the other end - the Occidental Grand and Iberostar? How are the beaches and snorkeling?

Mentioned in this post
Iberostar Cozumel
Iberostar Cozumel
5,230 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,684 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deciding where to stay in Cozumel-- Pls. help!!!

The AI's are excellent, the snorkeling is poor if compared to the area I have mentioned. The snorkeling in the sandy bottom area along the beach areas can't compare to the snorkeling in the areas I have mentioned. The real reason that Cozumel is world famous as a dive or snorkeling site is the fact that it has such a vast amount of coral growth. Coral reefs support marine life, such as fish, rays etc. Coral is a living thing, and many other species feed on coral. Coral also grows in differing formations which provide shelter for the same marine life which feed on it. Due to the fact that there are many various coral formations along some of the shoreline areas of Cozumel the snorkeling in those areas is much better than many areas around the world. This coral growth is a product of the fact that the leeward side of the island provides the protection from sea activity such as strong waves plus it is in an area of warm water, all of which allow the coral to grow.

Coral is a living thing, very fragile, and more importantly very slow to reproduce. It took hundreds of years for the coral formations to grow to what we now see, and thankfully the Mexican government has declared this area protected from human abuse, and that is why it is now a marine park. It is very important for us as divers or snorkelers to be very cautious to as to how we interact in this environment, look but don't touch. Also be aware that a coral cut can become an infection, due to the fact it is a living thing, not rock. In the area from just south of the international pier is located to Corona Beach there is a lot of coral growing right up to the shore line. There is also a lot of coral growing north of the international pier towards San Miguel but that area is now so busy with boat traffic that snorkeling there is difficult.

If someone chooses to stay at any of the AI's along the southern beach, then I encourage them to take a cab, rent a car, whatever; and get to the area either side of the Presidente, or the Fiesta Americanna and try snorkeling there for a while: or go to Chankanaab. After that you will understand the differance. For those who enjoy the fact that the fish, or other marine life is there to be discovered & enjoyed, this will truely be an experience. To those that thought that what you saw while exploring the water around the Iberostar, the Grand, the Allegro, or the Reef Club, you missed the main event, and had best plan another trip to Cozumel.

You can book many snorkeling trips which will take you to several of the reefs that we dive, but everything will be at a depth few of you can free dive down to. The shore snorkeling is in areas which are not too deep, and yet have almost as much marine life. I am not suggesting that you don't go on a snorkeling trip via boat, just that you realize it may take you where you could have gone there on your own at minimul cost, with no schedule. If you want the boat style trip ask where it will take you, and what you should expect to see. For those arriving by cruise ship, with no gear, the boat trip is likely a good route to go, but with a little homework they could see more at much less cost.

Mentioned in this post
San Miguel
San Miguel
396 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico