We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewelry Warning

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Jewelry Warning

The government consumer protection agency, PROFECO, is warning about the jewelry sold in many stores in Cozumel. the local director ,Ariadne Choral Santín, indicated "that this it is not a problem that can be adjudged to two or three jewelry shops, but that the great majority is committing these illicit sales, which is affecting all Cozumel."

"Many retailers are doing this, since they have realized of which it is a fast form to make business, inducing to the deceit to the tourists, selling to them things that a value very much below the real one , allowing them to sell to more than the thousand percent of his real cost", she states.

This agency , PROFECO, is a highly respected and effective one and it would be wise to heed their advice. Of course, the same advice would apply to Playa del Carmen, Cancun and many other areas, I am certain.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewelry Warning

I should have mentioned that the Profeco warning has appeared in the Por Esto newspaper and other local publications.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
77 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewelry Warning

I do not understand what you are telling us.

Exactly what is happening in the jewelry stores? It sounds like some sort of fraud is happening... but what exactly? Please give an example if you can.

I think my wife will be shopping for some jewelry for my daughter, but I think she will be pretty much sticking with handmade stuff.

I have heard that you should beware when buying gold or silver in Mexico. Sterling silver should be marked with "925" right?

I always have my guard up in any jewelry store anywhere, just because I do know much about such things.

-FoF

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewelry Warning

I believe that what Robert is referencing applies to the silver jewelry mostly. I would imagine that some of the other precious stones may also be of questionable value.

There have been numerous posts in the past about people buying jewelry in the stores in Cozumel and then finding out that the quality of the product is sub-par once they returned to the states.

I think its a case of buyer-beware when you see bargain prices for jewelry.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewelry Warning

I am sure that the article is referencing the diamond stores on Melgar for the most part. They pay upwards of 20K (USD) per month in rent, not to mention the unneccessary air conditioning bills (they blast the AC with the doors open to lure people in on hot days), so they inflate the costs of their jewelry, diamond or otherwise, to mitigate these costs. I wouldn't think that they are selling fakes, but simply attaching value where it doesn't exist. This also gives them ample room for 'haggling.' I have heard stories of non-sterling silver being sold as sterling as well.

The handmade stuff that can be bought in the smaller stores is the only jewelry I would even consider buying in Cozumel.

-Tom

Michigan
Level Contributor
869 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jewelry Warning

I guess missing the shopping on my last day in Cozumel and dislocating my wrist was a blessing in disquise?

My husband wanted to buy me earrings for my birthday and I was looking for a pendant for my daughter, but fate had other plans for me. Never got my chocolate torte at La Cocay either....darn.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jewelry Warning

I would normally not pay much attention to such accusations but PROFECO seems to have a flawless reputation and always have the facts to support what they say. The local director also said "because many sell alpaca instead of silver, and others because they offer stones without value instead of diamonds, sapphires and other gems."

I know the alpaca is a big problem . My friend , a local tour guide , has told me of finding it for sale at shops in Cedral as well as in the central area and he is always taking a close look at what is being sold to his tour guests.

Minnetonka...
Level Contributor
152 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Jewelry Warning

I'm confused... what is alpaca? I always thought it was a type of wool.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jewelry Warning

I'm confused too. There were some t.v. commercials recently about raising alpacas for fun/food/profit... Looked kinda like a llama...

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jewelry Warning

Cant tell you what it is but its what the locals call the fake silver items sold in the area. It will turn on you very quickly---wont be long before you know you are not wearing the real thing.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jewelry Warning

Found this old article from Mazatlan about alpaca vs. silver. If you do a search, you will find much alpaca jewelry for sale on E bay,

pacificpearl.com/archive/…feature2.htm