We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chichen Itza??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
CT
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chichen Itza??

My wife and I are going to be in Cozumel next week...we'll be there for a week. We have already booked the dolphin swim at Chakanaab and plan to spend the whole day there. We want to also go see Chichen Itza while we're there and understand it would be smartest to get there on our own rather than through a tour company. Can anyone advise us of the best way to do this? We are planning on spending the entire day there.

Thanks!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chichen Itza??

If you want to do this, just take the ferry boat over to playa del carmen early in the morning at 7am. Once in Playa, you can rent a car for the day and drive to chichen itza. The rental agency can give you a basic map and directions. The car rentals open at 8am, so you will be there a little early and can have breakfast. You should figure about 3.5 hour drive each way to get there. It is going to be a long, hot day, so you may want to spend the night there in the town of chichen itza and come back the next morning. They have a night show there as well on certain nights. I think the best way to do it is take you time getting there and take the southern route to Chichen itza and stop in Tulum and Coba along the way. These are beautiful ruin sites. Then get to Chichen itza later in the day and hit it early in the morning the next day. It gets very hot there there mid day.

saludos

tom@hotelflamingo.com

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chichen Itza??

I went with a tour company last week from Cozumel and would recommend this way. It was a long day and it was nice to have someone else take care of the logistics. The cost was about $100 per person. We took a 7 am. ferry to Playa del Carmen then were walked to a very nice, air conditioned tour bus. The way there took over 3 hours because we stopped at a sinkhole for a quick dip, then had lunch (included) close to Chichen Itza. We had about 3 hours there, half with the guide, which was optional, the other half on our own. It was enough time considering the heat. The ride back took slightly less than 3 hours and we were able to catch the 7pm ferry back to Cozumel. If you miss that one, the next one isn't until 9pm. Have fun at Chichen Itza. The big pyramid is still open to tourists but will be closed in two months.

san antonio
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chichen Itza??

try AeroSaab....check out their website

we flew in a small private charter plane from Playa Del Carment to the Chichen Itza Airport. Our private airconditioned van took us and the pilot to the ruins... the pilot and van driver waited for us while we spent approx 4 hrs at the Ruins. My wife and I were then handed over to our private tour guide and finished the tour before the large tour buses even arrived and before it became too HOT..The guide was a local native, very knowledgeable and spoke 4 languages...

He made the whole trip..We took may great photos, without any other tourist in any of the photos....

The cost was very worth what you recieve in return...It was a greate experience overall and is the only way to see the ruins...