We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car?

Just wondering if folks felt like a rental car was worthwhile for the entire week, or only needed for a day or two. Was lookin to do things like Chakkanaab, visit the East side, and do a bit of exploring. We are staying at the Coral Princess (which I understand is fairly close to San Miguel). Any rental recommendations? We were leaning towards just doing a day or two, but I guess renting in advance was still wise (although we will be there in June). Thanks.

Tulum, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car?

Coz is small and taxis are cheap. You might only need a car for a day or 2. You'll save some money if you rent from one of the majors before you go. Know that collision insurance will likely equal the cost of the car, so just double ewhatever rate you get quoted or use a credit card that offers CDW (call your card compnay had have them explain this to you - lots of bad advice floating around about how it works).

Dave

http://www.webkatz.net/Mexico/mexico.html

Colorado
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car?

We rented a jeep from Less Pay about $45 a day including all taxes and fees. Smart Car right across the street from the Airport has a bunch of nice new looking vehicles. Thay also have a website you can look at. From the Coral Pricess to the Plaza will run you $5 each way. About $12 to Dzul Ha and $16 to Chankanaab. All taxi rates are set and non-negotiable. They are also each way. From your hotel to the Plaza is no big deal, but if you want to hit the south end beach clubs or the farside you'll save a bunch with a car.

Smithfield, UT
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car?

I agree, I would only rent a car for a day or two to see the other side of the island. I little trick about the taxis though. They are NOT a set price. We found ourselves getting ripped off for a couple days, I think they could tell we had no idea what the ride should cost. Thanks to a couple honest drivers, after a while we got an idea of what a certain trip should cost. Then we started telling THEM what we are going to pay. Of course we were nice about it but when the ride was up we would just hand them 5 dollars or less. Made them think that we knew what we were doing. I think only once a driver insisited on another dollar, but that was for a trip all the way to Chankanab. So don't get in the car and ask how much the trip will be, get to your destination and offer them a couple bucks. We stayed at the Caribe Blu, (in the middle between the northern and southern hotel zones) a trip to town was about 3$ a trip to Chankanab I think we payed about 7$ or less. But we also tried to remember this is how these people support their families. All the locals on the island work VERY hard and long hours for not a whole lot of money, so when you come across service that is good or someone that is kind, be generous.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car?

We always rent a car for the week. If you book with one of the larger companies before you leave, you get a great price. We are renting from Hertz and it's only costing us about $150 for the week. Taxi's ad up and we enjoy getting up and going whenever! Plus you can always leave stuff in the trunk, etc.

Level Contributor
7,681 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car?

We were able to get a taxi tour of the island by going into San Miguel and doing a deal with one of the timeshare operators. It cost us $30 and 2 hours of our time at the Reef Club and Resort. We got free lunch at the Reef Club and could have use of the facilities for the day. Didn't have time to really explore any of the beaches, just long enough to stop and take a few pictures. We did stop at Coconuts for drinks and chips and salsa.

You can make deals with the taxi drivers for a full day. They will take you to the different beaches and restaurants. I have heard that they can carge as little as $50 for 4 hours, $80 for the full day.

PRT
Glen Mills, PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car?

Terp- Please beware in renting a car the place that ripped us off was Executive car rental. We took the insurance got in a fender bender, and then they claimed the insurance was good only if you total the cars. My husbaand was hancuffed and was being carted off to JAIL before we finally signed over $4000.00 to them to get him out. We will never return to Mexico but PLEASE beware.