We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everything is fine

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Everything is fine

Just got up an hour ago and was surprised to see that power was still on and I will have no clean up! The open air lobby where my restaurant is barely even has water blown into it! Looks like we dodged the bullet this time and after this clears up later today, things should be back to normal in a day. I just looked at the noaa site and it looks like it made a direct hit over the mahahual area which is much less populated. Viva Cozumel!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
209 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Everything is fine

good I am glad you are safe....

Michigan
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Everything is fine

Yesss!!! Viva Cozumel!!!!!

So glad to hear your good news! Cant wait to get back down there in November.

Southlake, Texas
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Everything is fine

Good Morning Tom.....It' great to hear you all are ok...Thanks so much for keeping us all updated on the little island we call Paradise....

Viva Cozumel !!!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Everything is fine

Tom~

Glad to hear all is well and Cozumel was spared.

Viva Cozumel!!!

Debbie

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Everything is fine

Just did a search on google and found this on where it hit in Mahahual

http://origin.mercurynews.com/ci_6675680

Texas
Level Contributor
189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Everything is fine

That's wonderful news. My family and I love your island and the people too. We are looking forward to our November return ! Take care.

olive branch, ms
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Everything is fine

I'll be there in 2 days...Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

PA
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Everything is fine

Does anyone know if the Fiesta Americana and their dive boats are ok? Is more damage expected? Thanks for all of the information.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
600 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Everything is fine

This came from a freind down in Mahahula where it took the direct hit:

Hola Thomas,

Thank you for your positive thoughts. By the time we finished preparing; Geri and I were about the last people out of Mahahual yesterday. The weather had just changed to rain and high winds as the first bands of the hurricane came ashore. We saw one other person from our casa south of the puebla all the way through centro and the casitas so I think everyone got out safely. I only know of one person who was staying and taking care of her and our beach dogs, Pirata and Babota. She is an elderly German woman and tough as nails and no one could convince her to leave. We brought one of our new pups with us to Merida and arrived late last night. Geri had already planned a flight on Thursday to the States to see her mom who is recovering from surgery before Dean even formed so this ended up being probably the best place to be. I’ve already had text messages from friends that went toward Tulum and they are fine at this point. No word from many friends that went to Bacalar and Chetumal, though. I am sure the electricity is out now and will be for many days if not weeks.

I have to tell you that the response from the Mexican government has been impressive. There were dozens of CFE (electric) trucks speeding to Costa Maya and also many Cruz Roja (Red Cross) rescue vehicles. The military guys I talked to said they were going to stay also.

At this point, I’d be surprised if our casa is still there since it is so close to the water and they were expecting 12ft of surge…not waves. From what we know, the eye passed directly over Mahahual. My thoughts are that life is not about things…it’s about relationships. Going through this I feel very rich with friendships of people from all over the world including you. Thanks again for your thoughts. It may be several days before anybody can get back into Mahahual and when I am there I may not have a way to communicate with you by phone or internet, but as soon as I can I will.

10. Re: Everything is fine

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 08, 2009